Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1600 X-flow

max

Hi

i'm new here, i dread to admit it but i don't have a 7.

i've got a kit car with a 1600 x-flow

it's got a 234 cam, a weber 32/36 carb, balanced crank and a "funny" sump. possibly other things too.

several things,

1) the marks on the dipstick aren't right, the oil can only be on the dipstich about a half an inch, if you go near the min mark it blows the oil out the exhaust. (great for creating smoke screnes but no good for the engine) does anyone know how much oil it should have (the sump is the shape of a biscuit tin, i'll look for marks if this will help)

2) the carb is, i think, overfueling. can anyone tell me what jets it should have, how to get the mixture right (whats the job with the bypass mixture screw??)

3) does anyone know of a good rolling road near Bury st Edmunds, Suffolk

4) whats the best option with regards to distributors, when i got it it had an unidentifiable distributor with ducellier electronic ignition, side exit, screw down cap. But the wrong rotor!, hence the cap was chewed and with no way of identifying it, the whole unit was replaced with a standard dizzy points and all. i'd like to put the old unit on if poss, any suggestions as to the type.

I hope somone can help

cheers

max

Max,

I strongly reccomend you get hold of 2 books from Haynes. The Ford Crossflow manual and the Weber Carburetor manual. I've stripped, rebuilt and adjusted both engine and carbs with the help of these. Well worth the £12 - £15 each, and should ansswer most of your questions (but not the oil level one)

Dave

Hello Max,

There's a very good rolling road just the other side of Cambridge - Wimpole. I know it's not that near to you, but it's not that far either. His name is Peter Baldwin (Tel: 01223 207 217) and he's very, very good. He's a really nice gut, who knows his stuff - he's aparently not too bad at racing Mini's either (perfect score in last years championship).

As you are not too, have you joined the Cam7 mailing list yet? It's full of 'interesting' people, with all sorts of different 7's, who have quite a bit of technical know how (not that you'd realise from reading the list). They meet up every now and again in a pub... and after a while you'll get used them and maybe even start to enjoy their company. wink.gif

The se7ens list

Then go to the mailing list list link. There you shall find the Main, Cam7, Dax lists, etc, etc.

Give Roger King a call,he's probably got all the info you need,you'll probably find that a downdraft weber isn't really suitable for use with a 234 cam anyway.get hold of some decent dcoe 40 151's.good luck

CHEERS C7 POW>