Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RE: Cant Start, Wont Start!

hallibut

Hi Gurus

I have just got my 1985 crossflow back from a complete engine rebuild and have run into a bit of a starting problem. Since the rebuild the engine has lots more compression *cool* BUT as a consequence the noises that the car makes when it starts are a bit different. Whereas before the starter would turn the engine over fairly quickly before it caught:

click-whirr-whirr-whirr-whirr-whirr-VROOM!

...there is now a bit of a pause, followed by a sloooow crank:

click.... whiiiiirrr-whiiiiirrr-VROOM! (let me know if this is helping, wont you? 😳)

This morning, the car cranked over (even more sluggishly) but wouldnt fire the engine up. It wouldnt start even with a jump from my tintop! Admittedly, it was -3C, but the car had been garaged over night and has been used more or less every day in the last week or so. When I checked the battery voltage ([italic]after[/italic] all the starting attempts it was 12.5V ☹️. The battery is a Halfrauds sealed unit. I couldn't see an ampere-hour rating, but it is rated at 335amps with 58 minutes reserve. I have no idea how old the battery is (but its clearly not the original unit). It has gone flat on me before, but charged up okay to 12.9V (I seem to remember).

So, is the battery knackered, is the alternator not charging or is the battery and starter motor (early sierra) not meaty enough for my 'new' (fabulous 😬) engine 🤔

Thanks

Martin

Edited - Sorry, still learning these smilies

The Layham Seven Project - 1985 All Steel Crossflow - The Sound of Freedom 😬

Edited by - hallibut on 28 Oct 2003 10:43:39

Edited by - hallibut on 28 Oct 2003 10:44:09

Check you have not got too much static timing advance. If it is too much, the spark will ignite the mixture well before TDC, and when the engine is cranking at low speed, the pistion will get forced back down they way it came !! This is known as kicking back.

As an experiment, mark the distributor position, retard the timing a few degrees and try it. You may be suprised.

I am speaking from experience here, I replace my starter motor twice before I cottoned on to this problem. Mr Dave Andrews ( oilyhands ) put me on the right track.

Paul

After a rebuild (courtesy of Roger King) I had a similar sluggish starter. As Popuplights says, it may be too much static advance (that is what I was told as well, coupled with a slightly tired starter motor) and, as I had a 3D ignition system with the throttle sensor, it could be overcome by depressing the throttle fairly well open when turning over on the starter. It seems to work as well!

Good luck

Mike

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been talking offline with Chris at the Seven Workshop (as it was he who has reinstated my engine to it's pristine condition) and he has said exactly the same thing *thumbup*. During the rebuild he swapped the old lucas ignition out (for a race system) and thinks that it may need adjusting to help the starter out a bit.

Will get it sorted out during my imminent rolling road session...

Cheers

Martin

The Layham Seven Project - 1985 All Steel Crossflow - The Sound of Freedom 😬

Edited by - hallibut on 28 Oct 2003 13:56:21