Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken heater fan

Chickenhawk

I've got an 1986 X-Flow with a stuffed heater fan. Anybody know where to get one from in the SE London area?

Bit of a crap design as well I took off the 3 bolts to remove fan motor but the fan blade is bigger than the hole allows to remove so I guess I'll have to take the whole heater off to remove fan and thus motor?

Lucky these guys don't build spaceships!

A working heater's not for me of course.....it's to keep the wife happy!

😳

• Leadership Team

There's a grub-screw in the side of the fan which you undo and it drops off. It'll probably be tight, but it can be levered off with the grub screw removed.

The motors are *eek* expensive from Caterham (been there, done that). I saw identical ones for MUCH cheaper at the Stonleigh kit car show last year (after I had bought mine from CC 🙆🏻). Sorry, I don't have a record of who they were though.

Regards - Michael.

Some of these have an "E" clip (circlip) holding the fan to the motor, if you undo the top of the heaterbox you can just about get to the clip without taking the heater out .

When this happened to my 7 a few years ago i found a local Rewinders had a similar motor in stock (and judging by the dust it had been on the self a while)

and it was only 15 quid.

I was given a 'buggered' heater unit of the old flat style. Decided to 'ave a go at it. It turned out that fan was just seized onto the bearings through lack of use. Careful prising off and a clean up + grease/oil saw the buggered unit working fine on both speeds!!!! Are you sure it ain't something like this?

Clamshell Club Founder Member.