Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spottered- Birkett update

WindyMiller

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys (last driver to thank you, sorry, infrequent net access these days!). Everyone's help made the day far easier for us drivers, which makes us more able to concentrate! The number of laps we did was pretty decent I thought, we were only 3 laps down (not counting handicap!!) on a Supergrads team (many more horses than us and wide track etc) and ahead of a couple of other teams of similar or higher spec se7ens - not to mention the non-sevens! Much of this was thanks to everyone's help.

A special thanks to those that helped take the bits out of my car after the race that were not going with the sale - Charlie Hunt, grads champ, is the proud new owner and collected it after the race. A very sad time for me ☹️ , especially as the next car is not a se7en so I'm unsure as to what the overall ownership experience will be like...

I never managed to get many decent shots of my car "in action" in the 2 years I raced it, if any of you have links to more sites with photos from the weekend, or larger files than the ones posted, please let me know, I'd like them for the memories. That's if you are still speaking to me now that you know I'm no longer "in the club".......... *cool*

As to what it was like out there..... Well, if you imagine the busiest track day you've ever been on, threw lots of oil on the track, populated it only with experienced drivers, and replaced the usual safety briefing with the command "just go as fast as you can and try to treat everyone else out there as if they are white van man", that comes close. It was a real rush and the 90 mins I drove felt like a normal 20 min race, I was concentrating so hard and enjoying it so much. Overtaking slower cars while fighting with similar ones and all the time having massively quicker ones weave through the lot of you was just an amazing rush. The best part for me was when I saw Campbell Mclory ahead of me in a same-spec Caterham, and, knowing he and I are evenly matched, worked hard to catch up then worked with him for ages, 2 se7ens together run much faster on the straights than one and Silverstone is mostly straights! I just sat behind him, often using part throttle to avoid going past, and saved fuel and made decent laps for a very satisfying stint!

Great stuff!

Edited by - jwyatt on 28 Oct 2003 08:07:39

[runs in later than Tam]

Defo a fab day, I'll be back next year if you are 😬

A big thanks to Gerard for spotting the water leak on my car on friday afternoon *thumbup* and did you notice that I parked it far away so you couldn't have any 'spares' off it during race day *tongue*

Thank god I only had a 5 minute drive home in the rain back to Buckingham *thumbup*

Ooh and can I have a t shirt please as and when (medium should do it I reckon)

cheers boys and girls *thumbup*