Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series oil pressure

Delberts Wallet

Just a quickie. What should the oil pressure be at a) tick over and b) high revs. Also on the same subject , I've never had a car with an oil pressure gauge so what sort of things does can it tell you (apart from the pressure)?

Ooo....I've made it to Angel cool.gif

Yahoo,I've got a car to beat my brothers Scoobydo teeth.gif

Edited by - Gareth Harrold on 11 Mar 2001 22:13:26

With a stinking hot engine the idle pressure used to drop to a smidge over 2 bar on my 1.8SS. I had a 35 psi (2.25 bar) oil pressure warning light which would come on in the padock at track days, after each session (despite a gentle cool down lap). This would go out as the oil cooled a little.

With any amount of revs. it was around 4 bar.

My 1.6k SS idles hot at 2 bar, and peaks at 4 hot or cold. I understand this is pretty normal.

On really hard track days it will also show a peak temperature of 115 degrees, I've been assured this is also quite acceptable.

My only recommendation is that you buy an Apollo tank if you intend to use the car on track days.

Nick

This all presupposes that your sensors & gauges are sensing/reading correctly. My previous 1.4 & new(ish) 1.6 read similar oil pressures: 4 bar idle when cold sinking to 2 bar when hot; 5000 rpm sinks to 3.5 (ish) bar when hot. 115 deg C water temp seems a little high to me but maybe on a hot day with a lot of right foot? Pinky: is this figure paddock talk or from an engine guru?

Mick

Further to Tim Seipel's information - if you double the running clearance at a bearing you will quadruple the oil loss through it. It is often possible to double running clearances by going from minimum tolerance to maximum tolerance. In other words, both extremes can be acceptable.

At tickover, your average oil pump doesn't have much in hand to maintain pressure, so you can see the effect that quadrupling oil losses might have in reducing pressure. This is the main reason that engines showing similar pressure at higher revs (where the pump generally has a bit in hand), can have such different tickover pressures.

Mick,

115 degree temp referred too was oil not water! Water would indeed be way OTT I'd imagine. I did have a problem with over heating on track days, but the big ali rad soon fixed that!

I was worried about the oil temp, so I posted a question on this site ages ago, and called Arrowstar. All agreed this was not a problem for a high quality synthetic oil.

Thankfully.

Nick