Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Achieving the perfect finish

Simon Horan

As there was sod all to do today apart from polish the thing, this is exactly what I did but could not achieve the perfect finish on the aluminium.

I know the metal is less than 12 months old and have a hankering for a mirror finish. After polishing there is still a 'dappled' effect.

I dont want to cock-up and use a compound that is too abrasive and end up with a bonnet like a skating rink.

I'm using Alu Belgom + elbow grease.

As funds are unavailable at present and there is no meeting of the finance committee (she who must be obeyed), this is the first step on the upgrade route.

I am convinced I shall have the slowest but cleanest machine at Curborough.

Simon

I used to use Autosol and plenty of EG (me + GF), the result won a Concours for best BDR HPC, so it can be done - Jim Whiting sells Mothers, which is excellent. Caterham can put you in touch with a pro who will do the whole car for 250 and James used to have a guy too - a dirty job, buffers etc. There are some good threads on this in the archives.

Andy

Sorry, but unless you get the 'professionals' to do the job, it is simply a matter of perseverance with the Belgom Alu.

I maintain that it is the best product, but it does take a few 'sessions' to get a really good shine and to polish out some of the imperfections.

Mucky job isn't it.

Andrew

have tried slow spinners, after convincing the bread knife that she couldnt put wet clothes in it.

I'm resigned to Alu + elbow grease + t-shirts that dont fit (shrunk in the spinner obviously - nothing to do with the calorie intake vs burn rate dilemma.

It makes me smile, I dither about which polish whilst some poor sod is perched on the horns of the R500 vs SLR dilemma, poor bugger I say. Hey Ho, lifes rich tapestry and all that

Is it worth removing wings / windscreen ?

Simon

This might be utter cxxp so shoot me down if you wish. A few years ago it was suggested that cooking with alloy pans could cause premature altzeimers (not sure of spelling)So could all this black aluminium residue on our hands cause future brain problems. Serious and light hearted replys welcome.

Must go for my medication.

Glenn.

And to compound the problem, tea was also believed to have a high aluminium content. Partly due to cheap aluminium tea pots but also because of the soil types that have tended to favour tea bush cultivation and of course it all rushes up to the growing tips!! So when not polishing, but sitting on **** contemplating polishing and supping a brew, the damage is just the shame!

Thank heavens I got a painted jobby and drink beer!

alternative to black hands - those jolly nice chaps from BP have an endless supply of gloves next to the diesel pump, quite fantastic to see such community spirit.

I will support them by using as many as poss.

Simon

PS probably nt as good as Dr Wongs patent second skin !!

just thought i'd mention that WD40 or MR sheen are both excellent for removing the black residue,and also help to stop premature

oxidisation of the ally.i've also found that

flanalette or wyncyette(not sure of spelling,

the stuff yer old jamas wer made of when you wer little,is excellent for polishing without scratching or leaving streaks.warn the kids though!)

There is a solution to "Black Hand" disease. I use a product called Liquid Glove. Purchased in the US. I got it from a paint store. It goes on like a hand lotion. I put on two applications. When done polishing wash your hands. Very little black residue.