Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking fuel tank

Paul Roberts

You can repair the tank yourself using some of the diy putty available from Halfords. I repaired mine last year after it had chaffed against the retaining straps. it was an easy job but i suppose it depends upon where the hole is and how large. mine has not leaked since. when the tank is out dont forget to replace all of the seating rubbers and it is usefull to check the now exposed areas of chassis for rust etc and coat with your chosen preventative.

If you have an injection car it will likely be leaking where the pump mounts in the side of the tank. Simply fit a new gasket.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Edited by - fast arnie on 11 Mar 2001 17:56:26

I had a problem with my 1997 K De dion tank leaking from the fuel pump flange. The tank had to be replaced as a mechanic at Caterham had overtightened the fixings and distorted the mating face on the tank. This is an extremely poor design of seal and when the fixings for the fuel pump flange are tightened the thin ali of the tank can distort giving a small leak when the tank is filled. In my opinion this seal needs redesining with a steel plate located in the tank that clamps the faces together flat when the fixings are tightened. I also worry that if the OS rear of the car was to be lightly impacted a major leak could result.

I've got this kind of problem too. Leaking was due to two main causes: 1. where the pump mounts in the side of the tank. 2. a stamp problem located in the middle back of the tank: fuel was seeping very slowly when the tank was filled up.

I have been lucky because the Caterham dealer replaced all the parts under waranty.

Robert.