Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intercom & Helmets

R400C

Can anyone here recommend an intercom system for use in a Seven. Ideally I would like one with an input for a minidisc/mp3 player as I haven't yet got my head around the idea of not having a stereo! Any recommendations with respect to helmets would also be appreciated - the Demon Tweeks catalogue is quite extensive ... What are the main differences between a dedicated full face car racing helmet and an 'ordinary' motorcycle lid? *confused*

Race car helments have different approvals (ie those for racing) this means if you do any racing, hillclimbing, sprinting etc. that requires certain standards of approval a motorbike lid will not suffice.

Race car helmets tend to have a narrower visor as well.

Some are designed for windscreenless cars or single seaters which may mean they have a fixed or removeable "duckbill" which prevents the helmet from being pulled upwards by the airflow. This can be a serious problem if you are going 100+ on the track.

• Support Team

Try Autocom for a suitable intercom. They're not cheap but they are good quality, the system is voice activated and you have inputs for personal stereo and for mobile phone. You can get practice headsets (ear defender type) and also in-helmet sets if you wanted to use on track. We have used them on many long trips (including Le Mans) and are very happy with their performance. The other highly recommended system is from Peltor (available in Demon Tweeks and Grand Prix Racewear) but they didn't have a music input when I was looking and they are always on rather than voice activated - that said the headsets do seem to be more padded and confortable than the Autocom ones (Autocom are lighter though). There are several cheaper alternatives and I know poeple who use the OMP one from Demon Tweeks and are happy with it.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If you are interested I have a system I bought from Demon Tweeks last year. Its made by OMP i believe, and I paid about £80-90. Its not been used (still boxed), and I would willingly part with it for £40 (+postage). If you are interested, please e-mail me and I'll be able to give you more details.

Charlie

I went the Autocom route and fitted "ears" and mic to my skid lid.

I a word... brilliant. Set the mobile phone to auto reply and I'm in my own world, taking business calls and no one knows I'm playing in the Seven.

The great thing is that the "ears" are fitted inside helmet and the mic is wind proof. Thus, if you are wearing your crash hat, it can be with or with the mobile etc - you just need to plug the helmet to the rest of the system, or ignor it.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

• Area Representative

If you take your helmets to the NEC bike show (14th-23 November) where Autocom will very likely have a big stand, they will fit the headsets for free. We bought our set there and left the helmets for about half an hour whilst they sorted them out for us. Its a bit strange trying on the headsets (practice ones) because of the din and noise surrounding you, as soon as the headset is on, you hardly hear a thing around you! Their display plays the conversation between two bikers at well over 100 mph and its crystal clear.

Not sure on the current prices, but our Pro 1 unit with two headsets & mics, music lead, phone lead and power lead was £330. Expensive but very well worth it

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬