Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Top Fuse Tip - K-series

caterhamnut

For those who don't know, if you have a 20A ECU fuse for your k-series engined car, replace it with a 30A fuse. Apparently Caterham now advise this anyway.

Reason I have posted this very simple thing, which I expect a lot of you may know about already, is that a few months ago the 20A fuse blew left us stranded (it blew when I went to start the car) and a bit more recently we stopped to help a guy on the A303 who had had a fuse blow. He had been there 4 hours. It was a 10 second fix when we stopped because I now carry a couple of spare fuses in the car after our experiance. After fitting the 30A fuse in his car he was off with no problems.

Just thought I would bring it up because it is one of those very simple things that can strand you by the side of the road and is very easily preventable. *thumbup*

Forgot to mention - the sign that your fuse may have gone is that when you turn the key, you get NOTHING - most particularly, you will not hear the fuel pump buzz as you normally do. You WOULD hear the fuel pump if it was just the k-starter problem happening - although incidently it was just such a k-starter 'click' that actually caused the ECU fuse to go in the first place with us.

Updated MODEL and Cartoon pictures at mycaterham.com

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Edited by - angus&tessa on 20 Oct 2003 09:30:46

Have you upgraded the wiring from 20A to 30A too?

Seems odd to just increase the fuse spec without doing anything else. More than 20A is a lot of current, where is it going? Is it a transient thing that blows the fuse on switch on but then immediately drops to a more sensible number that the wiring can live with?

The additional current is only a momentary thing. The 30A fuse has to carry the current to the starter motor solenoid. Sometimes if the solenoid sticks a bit the current will increase enough to blow the 20A fuse. So there is nothing to worry about on the wiring. It is more than adequate.

Angus - thanks for reminding everyone. Simple fault that gives BIG problems otherwise.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Phew - sorry Chelspeed - could not answer your tech questions!

ECU fuse is the right hand one at the top of the fuse box. The other is a 15A fuel pump fuse.

If you are not sure about this, that is fine - just carry a few fuses with in the car 'just in case', particularly if you have the 'k-series starter' problem every now and again. Its a 'pennies' component that totally cripples the car if it blows!

Why not pop a few in rolled up piece of tape and tape it up under the scuttle above the passengers knees - then you know you always have spares!

Updated MODEL and Cartoon pictures at mycaterham.com

here

50,000miles in 2 years

• 5 months later...

I'm also very grateful to you, as I have just experienced a similar problem. The initial problem was a flat battery, but having charged it overnight, the car still wouldn't start. I mistook the clicking relay for the solenoid initially, and then found the blown 20 amp fuse. I blew 4 more 20amp fuses whilst trying to find the short circuit. Then I upgraded the fuse to a 30amp one, and all seems fine.

My only concern is what is pulling over 20amps??? That seems an aweful lot for just a solenoid. I'll put a meter on it later, and see.

Many thanks again

I posted on a similar thread some weeks ago - I've replaced my fuse with a 25 amp circuit breaker (available from DT's and I'm sure other places as well). It has a manual cut-off button so can also be used as an additional securiy feature. Page 192 of the 2004 Motorsport catalogue - ETA series 1170, also available in 20 and 30 amp ratings.

SV 52 CAT - moles fly - here

• 1 month later...

Special thanks to Tessa and Angus for this old thread which I just looked up. Just broke down this morning, couldn't restart, and because I remembered this thread I was able to affect a quick repair. Will get hold of those 30amp fuses post haste now. Many thanks

Also many thanks to Peter from Cadence for stopping to try to help.

Kind regards Andrew