Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Number plate light - earth?

Frying Pan

Hi

My car came without the rear number plate light mounting bracket - now supplied.

How is the light earthed? - there is only one wire to the rear light, so does it earth through the fixing rivets? I've spray painted the bracket with Hammerite Satin Black - will I need to remove any of this?

Cheers

Guy

See some pictures of the build here

Yup - it earths though the attachments. Make sure you have a good bright metal to metal contact and liberally coat with copper grease - should do the trick 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Charles

No holes on my chassis either. I guess you just find the centre of the tube, drill holes and rivet it on. My bracket has five rivet holes drilled in it, but 2 or 3 shoudl be plenty.

I've sprayed mine with Hammerite Satin Black, but getting a good earth might be fun now... I might run an earth wire out of the lamp to a suitable place.

Cheers

Guy

• Leadership Team

Use 3 of the holes - and as you drill through the holes and into the chassis, the paint should be removed on the inside of the holes. The inserted rivet will complete the circuit (don't use a black rivet!), also using a crimp on connector - the kind with the loop end. Mines benn satisfactory for ages.

Stu.