Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Running in process

Lawrence_Z

He seems fairly consistent in his description and makes it all conditional on the honing finish of the liners. This is where Roger King has also been consistent - if plateau honed, then safe to go hard from first use.

Also, it is very unlikely to do harm. As long as you don't let the heat build up too much it is not going to be too much of a shock for anything.

I did - chapter and verse.

No adverse effects so far and no oil use between changes at 14,000 miles on a 1.8 K-Series. I used GTX and changed it after the first 20 miles of BLASTING. Then to Comma 0W-40 at 1500 miles 😬

And you should have seen all the carp that came out with the first oil change at 20 miles - the oil was opalescent *eek*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Edited by - Tony C on 16 Oct 2003 15:26:07

I had this dilemma when buying my R300 found that site above and it made sense to me 😬.so i picked it up on the tuesday morning drove it for 100 miles at under 4500 rpm then thrapped it down to newhaven to get the ferry for le mans.....with the club!!!!!!!,i would wager it is putting more power out than standard because of this method,it is one mean mother of a car............

Thats cos your a nancy boy,

I run mine 7 in very gently for the 1st 100 yards then I thrashed the living daylights out of her, if you don't hit the rev limiter every day then you wasted an opportunity!

Nemesis

AKA.... Chris Matthews Click here for the evidence against the accused

Is it just me or when looking at the picture of the pistons using different run in procedures one looks as if it has been used in an engine and one looks as if maybe it hasnt?

There would be carbon etc above the top ring at least!

Maybe its a bit of a hoax!

Or am I missing the point?

James

Su77on Se7ens

The theory is all well and good , but you simply cant blat it for the first 20 miles on a K .

Lets no forget that you have to spend the first 10-15 mins bleeding the cooling system with the engine running at fast idle (1100rpm )on the driveway and the nose of the car pointing skywards , unless you have a different cooling system to most K's ?

Dave

Absolutley correct it is very important that the engine water and oil are up to temp before you press the throttle in anger, and if it's in winter may I suggest you blank out the lower half of the rad. *biggrin*

My K tend to run at 80 degrees water and 65degrees oil [ I'm thinking of some more lagging on the dry sump tank *thumbup*]

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.