Click here if you are having website access problems ×

one-off bonnett, Arnie?????

Marius

I´m about to fit some direct-TB´s to my XE-engine. As the TB´s raise in a certain angle I can´t use the standard bonnett anymore.

Arnie, your bonnett has such a cut-out way higher than standard. What´s the easiest way to get one of these? I guess it´s a one off from Arch, isn´t it ???????

Any recommendation welcome.

Marius

Marius,

You need a bonnet with the two vented louvres closest to the throttle bodies removed. Arch wiull supply this (talk to Bruce - its actaully known as an "Arnie bonnet"

Then you need to fit the nosecone and scuttle to the car and the air filters and lay two lengths of masking tape from the scuttle to the nose, above and below the air filter, carefully noting the position and angle where they adhere to the nosecone and scuttle.

Measure the distance from the ridge in the trailing edge of the nosecone, to the leading edge of the air filter, and also measure the length of the air filter body.

Then remove the filter, put the bonnet on ( you may need the trumpets removed to do this) and join the lines of masking tape on the nosecone and scuttle. This will then give you the upper and lower edges of the filter body. Then mark the position of the front and rear edges of the filter and hand draw (very scientific) the radii of the ends onto the bonnet.

Cust 1mm inside these lines using a set of Monodex cutters (like tin snips, but they don't distort the panel) Finish smothing the edge with a 75mm flap wheel on a drill.

If you are a clever clogs like me you'll be able to do all this after your bonnet has been painted!

If you ash Arch to cut the hole Bruce will probably decline!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Hi Marius

If you use a domed type air filter the curvature of the air filter means that you can retain the six vents on the standard injection bonnet as this type will not require as much cutting out of the bonnet.

I have just done the same as arnie with a bonnet missing the left hand side vents and a standard itg box type filter on dth throttle bodies with 90mm trumpets,if you take a direct line forwards from remaining rear set of vents it would still have cleared the hole i cut in the bonnet,this has approx 5mm clearance allround.

When you cut the straight edges for the top and bottom edge (if you have cut a smaller hole to begin with) clamp a straight edge on the bonnet and use a small flapper wheel to cut back to straight edge giving a perfectly straight line along filter edge.

It also pays to remember that the end curvatures are not a constant radius as the filter comes through the bonnet at an angle.

Good luck

Dave

Arnie, Dave, thanks for the advises. That´s exactly the way I was planning to go for. So I´ll get an "Arnie-bonnet" from Arch and will spend some hours again on cutting the thing.

I already had to enlarge my standard-bonnet in order to get the JPE-ITG-Filter through the hole. It was a bloody piece of work but looks great now. Mess that I change my mind so often and find every two weeks things which could be changed......

Marius

BTW: How much is the Arnie-bonnet, can you remember ????