Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine oil for Xflow

Rowly

Folks the Caterham plate says I should use Shell Gemini. I like this sort of instruction. Sadly Shell don't do it any more. I know it can be an imotive subject i.e. the newer magnatec type oils are too thick, the others are too thin etc. but what is the current best recommended oil and what viscosity should I be looking for in my 18,000 mile 1600 Kent X flow.

Owner of H979 FNH The Wombat

On a xflow with carbs where the cylinder walls get a good washing with petrol, and the oil is changed every 3000 miles, I would use any reasonable mineral or semi-synthetic of the correct viscocity which varies according to ambient temperature requirements between 5w/40 and 15w/40. The main diffence being how easy the car is to start in the cold. I have taken the middle ground with a 10w/40 Castrol Magnatec for basic engines.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I thought that the generally accepted wisdom was that a /50 oil is best for x/flows. The first part of the viscosity rating 15W refers to cold viscosity and is relevant to ambient winter temperatures.

There are plenty of 15W/50 synth and semi-synth oils around that should do a good job. You can also get Valvoline Racing 20W/50 at a reasonable price.

7SE - Back to basix

The oil specification that came with my 1995 1700 supersprint was 5w/40. At 1000rpm I get 1.5bar oil pressure on the gauge.

Just double checked the manuals last night and fou8nd 15w/40 in the handbook - but the hot 40 rating is consistent.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 16 Oct 2003 08:13:22

I will be using the car year round and will be parking it outside at times. I can source the Valvoline racing quite easilly at a local motorfactors. What effect will the 20w bit have on a cold engine?

Owner of H979 FNH The Wombat