Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cheaper ways to 300HP

Bill Shurvinton

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I'm not.

Quick surf...Ahh. well. Its ummmm. Quite heavy. Fully dressed 170kg, so lighter than a YB/pinto still, but fair lardy. No idea how much a suitable flywheel (stock will be 15kg ish) and throbbles saves. Apparantly in race trim pops out some 385BHP though.

Perfect engine for a touring type car. Might drop one in my RX7

Dino, I have a suspicion that removing the screen from my car and the lard heavy interior it would be damn close to the ring record. If you've seen the video of my car at the ring that's recording a pretty good time, despite being about 30BHP down,having a 20st passenger and a driver that wasn't completely familiar with the circuit.

batteredoldsupersport, the upgrade was replace the 19row chargecooler pre-rad with a 43 row one. I got a good deal on the rad (a tenner) connectors, a bit of paint, 2 nuts,bolts ,washers a bit of welding wire/gas for the bracket and a bit of time was all it took.

Picture here: http://www.g2.nu/chris/westie/pictures/20031012/med/img_2104.jpg

Further improvements will come from getting cold air to the aif filter which could be accomplished with some ducting made out of old cardboard. Assuming you have carboard to hand that's a free upgrade and an infinite amount of BHP per pounds *wink*

GM did a 3 litre straight 4 that cosworth were involved in.

There is also the 944 engine.

But there are many trade-offs in an engine design. That's why some 4 pots weight more than some V8s. Ally is light, but nowhere near as strong as iron. So a K at 100BHP/litre is relatively more stressed than a Vx at that level.

Se7ens are odd in that almost everything has been tried in them bar V12s ( 3 exups anyone). This is good because it fits with the Chapman way of using what was to hand to get the best bang for the buck. Using this philosophy every owner can then optimise the car according to their constraints. Mine is usually that SWMBO will cut off my testicles if I spend more money.

The KV6 could yet turn out to be very interesting. Especially as wrecked freelanders and 75s start making it into the scrappies

KV6's have been available in scrappies in the front of Rover 800's for ages.

this engine is rear-wheel-drivable as it was made under licence by Kia for their 2/4wd sportage. Freelander/R75's have a dual mass flywheel and other gubbins which does not lend itself to RWd.

I believe Caterham looked at the KV6 for the 21 at one point.

Tom

The old hoary chestnut emerged a couple of pages ago...

... a V8 in a Seven means it won't handle

... so much power, but you can't use it

Would someone please explain that to the guy sprinting the Quantum Extreme at Aintree who granny started it and got perfect consistent 0-64ft times and crossed the line at 140+mph, with run times humbling several of the single seaters in the British Sprint Championship.

The KV6 is not that light. The Nissan VQ series that we hear so much about is lighter for an extra litre capacity and better bore/stroke ratio.

The packaging problems with all V6s in a Seven chassis are to do with the width at the rear of the head hitting the engine bay diagonals. Also plumbing in a decent inlet system is challenging, trying to fit everything in the vee and not having it all just get way too tall to fit under a bonnet. With an exhaust on each side it can be tricky to get a siting for a dry sump pump and you have to be careful with oil drainage paths because each bank is cranked over at an angle.

Was the KV6 ever in an 800?
Yes, it replaced the Honda V6. Excellent engine, screamed like a screaming thing (but then most V6s do), rest of the car was cr@p ... gearbox went bang at 30 000 miles, a mere £3 000 to repair (ha -not my money though).

If you paint "Dutton" on the side of a 7 does it make it faster? *tongue* *tongue*

Arnie should have spent his £14k on one of those new 2lt V8 bike engines from what you've said regarding the Quantum Peter.

Personally i'm still baffled as to why they put such an innovative product in such a horrible looking 7 copy.

Home of BDR700

Tuned KV6 info at here The 2 litre installations in the back of the new Pilbeam hillclimbers are very neat and apparently quite small. The engine bay diagonals are surely a problem that's there to be solved....

A couple of weeks ago I was at Kames somewhere in the Scottish wilderness. There were two single seaters present, one fitted with a Cosworth KF, the other with a QED KV6. The former is clearly a no messing about racing engine, the latter idles at reasonable revs.... One of my neighbours has a Morris Minor with a 1.8K, he's thinking of fitting a KV6.

Paul

It's not a Donkervoort but a HKT, and yes, they are slightly larger than a Caterham. I don't know if they are larger than an SV though.

Coming back to the topic, HTK also regularly use the Audi 1.8T turbo engine tuned up to 300+ bhp.

-Marin

Funny that.. Even the ''Hated Westfields" which I agree do look rather 'odd' do have a superior IRS system than Cat..but then Children could have designed a better one than Cat's lashup.. if only the Westies weren't so darned silly looking.:-)

WCMultralite.com... photos of a S2000 Seven 'Clone'.. not quite 'right' looking, but not laughable either..alledgedly Quick.