Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cheaper ways to 300HP

Bill Shurvinton

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmm 300 bhp *tongue*

I'm sure Arnie will be along soon to reveal all ..........

Whatever happened to the V6 nissan lump that we were going to shoehorn into a SV chassis ??

That would make 300 bhp on throttles and mild cams .

Next engine for me will have to have minimum 275 bhp . I simply want to try a tame that sort of power through my 205/60 32r's *eek* *cool* *thumbup*

Dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 13 Oct 2003 15:30:39

Did anyone see the picture in Race car engineering of the bare unpainted Caterham chassis with the V8 bike lump sat in it ?? , exhaust manifolds all made to fit . The article also states that a Caterham test mule will be ready early autum .

Anyone know of this car ??

dave

Could just buy and install a Honda S2000 engine AND 6 speed.. surprisingly light quick and 240 hp as a start.. 6 speed is also one of the best shifting boxes yet made.

And if some can manage to squeeze serious power out of a Metro engine.. :-)

I have a YB Cosworth powered Caterham. You are right in your comments about it being heavier than the superlights etc, and it's not everyones cup of tea!It also upsets the purists which i find amusing.It won't ever be the fastest thing around a track, but i thought long and hard before I bought it. Do I want to break lap rcords or just have fun in it. The latter came to mind.As a road car it's a different kettle of fish.It's as docile as you want it to be, and it'll pull cleanly from 1000 rpm in 5th, alll the way to a genuine 145, without a hiccup.It has well over 260 ft/lb of torque, and will be as mad as you want it to be.Overtaking is totally effortless, more so than any other Caterham I have driven.But it's best quality is tha fact that this engine, even in this state of tune it is relatively bullet proof.

Anyway, enough of the wind, it's currently off the road, and wil be back next year with closer to 400 bhp.You can never have too much power, you can always choose no to use it.IMHO!

There have been a few postings on this car, have a look for Q445 APN

Good ways of getting 300bhp in a Caterham:

Hart420R

BMW F2

V8 bike engine if you're happy being a guinea pig

Bad ways of getting 300bhp in a Caterham:

Hyabusa turbo - they don't give this power anyway.

Any 4 cylinder turbo for that matter

Two bike engines

I was going to go the turbo route but with a purpose built v.high compression BDT engine on methanol as this would sort out the inherant problems associated with turbo engines/turbo engines fitted to Caterhams. It probably would have given closer to 600 bhp and not 300 bhp though which would have made it totally impossible to drive.

normalbloke.29 - Take you're engine to Aaron Tucker at HTR and get him to build you one like the one in the Cossy at Brighton which did 134 mph through the speed trap. Fitted to a Caterham you should top 140 mph trap speed...............on your roof in about 14 seconds !

Home of BDR700

The holeshot turbo option is absolutely manic and suits the car down to the ground. It's not a cheap way to go but it's still an awfully good car.

Turbos really aren't all bad. I've got a cosworth engine in my se7en. Puts out about 330BHP and about 330lbft. It's not be the purists cup of tea but IMO it's just fabulous. Turbos take more driving to get the best out of them but in a light car like the se7en they're a lot more friendly than in a lardy sierra.

The big thing to learn is that you don't welly it in second, or third if the tyres are cold, or forth if it's wet. Once you've learnt that lesson they're a pleasure to drive.

Costs involved for that power could be as little as 2500 quid but I spent rather more than that because I'm a bit of a tart for shiny bits. 380 BHP is achievable without internal modifications and a reliable 440BHP is achievable with cams/injectors/turbo/chip and a skim to lower compression. Cost to go to that spec is about 4 grand.

As an alternative an LS1 or LS6 install is very viable in an SV once you've beefed up the chassis. That gives you 350BHP off the shelf for about 3 grand, 500BHP for 5 grand.

So arnie, what's your route and HTF did you manage to spend 15 grand on the install? Any of the routes above you could have had >400BHP and had more than 10k left in the bank.

Cng - its pretty simple:

Head Porting and other mods £1900

Big Valves. springs, caps, platforms, lifters, shims cams pullies etc £1800

Throttle bodies, injectors, filter box, fuel rails etc £2000

Head gasket £100

Block machining (from stock)£250

Crank/rods £2500

Pistons £650

Other machine work £200

Exhaust (not silencer) £1000

Clutch/flywheel £1000

Starter/Alternator & pullies £600

Dry Sump system £1000

ECU, Loom, mapping £2000+

Other consumubles and pretty bits £750

Thats over £15k! and you need a good engine to start with!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 13 Oct 2003 23:13:38