Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Waffled - now EPDM/neoprene foam strips...

Myles

I am sooo tired... did 22 of the 43 slabs today for the greenhouse... and I'm a fit youngster (of 31 and rapidly advancing lots...)

I'm also 'resting', but I'm not going to choose path laying (or similar) as my next 'career'. nosirreee *wink*

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Edited by - Myles on 13 Oct 2003 19:03:21

Edited by - Myles on 14 Oct 2003 13:04:45

Yippeee! Finished laying the last slab just as it got too dark to work...

Steve-B - any idea how long we should leave the slabs before;

a) crawling on boards on the slabs to point them

b) walk on them and build the greenhouse???

FYI, we mixed the cement in thoroughly with the sand - rather than the cement crust method and gave the slabs a bit of a watering when all were laid. Probaby water them again tomorrow...

typically, we ran out of sand and cement *two* slabs from the end...

Thanks S-B,

That's cool *cool* - it'll coincide (roughly) with next w/e.

We're planning to lightly sprinkle the slabs in the meantime (worst bit of base-layer levelling resulted in about 75mm (3 inches) of sand/cement *eek*).

Ta.

The road is lo-ong...

Okey-dokey.

We plan to build the greenhouse (toughened glass, ali frame) sometime around the w/e when the slabs have cured etc.

The gh has a box or C-section ali base which sits between the slabs and the frame and that provides some extra rigidity (and height!).

The slabs have a 'slight' fake stone pattern on them - this has made it a bit of a bug*er (toot!) to level as each slab can have upto about 3-4mm variance in height across each slab. Inevitably, with this variation (plus levelling inaccuracies and settling), there will be gaps underneath the base.

I'm wondering if it would be neat idea to put a layer of foam strip (similar to that used to seal the 7 bonnet joints) under the ali base. This should smooth the load and fill the gaps...

It should only cost about 10 quid (need 8m = 2x5m rolls) - but there are a number of different foam specs out there (neoprene, EPDM etc.)

I dunno if it's necessary, worth it or will cause nightmares later on when chemicals/water/insects/age/whatever have a go. Any ideas?

It's 10 quid less to spend on beer (or plants..., or Optimax *biggrin*)