Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

4 Point, 5 Point or 6 Point....help

Delberts Wallet

I've posted a thread in Wanted for a 4 point harness as I plan on doing my first track day some time in the summer/spring. The only reply (from stuart G) is as follows;

"You don't want a four point harness you want a five or six point one"

So what do I go for?

Yahoo,I've got a car to beat my brothers Scoobydo teeth.gif

Whilst Peter's comments are perfectly correct and a four point harness is a good starting point I would say it's only that and if you're going to the bother of fitting a new harness a five point one does the job far better.

The problem with the four pointer is that you can slide out under it and that it's impossible to tighten the shoulder strap properly as all you do is pull the hip straps out of place. You need the fifth strap to hold the buckle down so you can tighten the shoulder straps to really hold you into the seat and only then can you feel what the car is doing. This extra one-ness with the car enables the limits to be approached far more confidently and a crotch strap only costs another 15 quid. I think PC uses more than four straps.

Just been through this with my MOMO 4point harness. I bought the Y crotch strap to convert it to 6 point. The straps mount on the same point as the lap straps and in my case I sit on the staps and CAREFULLY bring the crotch strap up between your legs.It connects to the bottom of the main buckle. If you go for the 5 point you may have problems mounting it and have to bring it up through the seat near your private parts.

I agree with everyone about crutch straps - they cost little extra, and make a big difference in ordinary driving because as Stewart says, they stop the buckle riding up when you tighten the shoulder straps.

Where they fit depends on the car. Mine (post 1996 chassis) has points in front of the rear bulkhead originally intended for the old type seat mounts, to which the crutch strap fits. I also just sit on the straps. Sounds uncomfortable, but isn't.

Gareth,

The factory will supply the Caterham 4 and 6 point (Luke) harnesses. Very cheap.

Strictly the crotch strap should not be fixed to the same bolts as the lower harness - but on most cars until very recently there simply aren't the mounting points for a six point.

Best Regards,

Brian

Keith, I am interested in your reference to a post 1996 chassis having extra usable mountings. Are they suitable for the same bolts as the lap belt mountings? I have a 1997 car and don't seem to have anything like this.

Can you be specific about the location and what I would be looking for.

Sitting on the belts doesn't feel so secure to me. In a frontal impact it may well work but I wonder about a roll (heaven forbid) situation. I find I can lift myself up and forwards like that. I have a home made seat base and have the belt coming up through that.

I wouldn't want to butcher the nice leather seat....

Gareth,

I updated my harnesses last year and was going to go for the Caterham/Luke 5-point ones. However, James Whiting recommended the Willans Club 6-point set up, they came in slightly cheaper and, IMHO, are of better quality.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.c7kjt.co.uk

Steve

On my car the extra mounts are at the base of the rear bulkhead. They are the points where the old type seats used to mount. You need to drill through them and the floor and bolt the belts thru the lot, using a spacer between the mounting point and the floor. I agree that 6 point belts won't halp in a roll over, but they won't make things worse in any situation, and thanks to the fact that they enable you to do the belts up tighter, will help in most.

Thanks for all the advise. I've gone for the 4 point to start off with and may change to 6 later on, see how it goes.

My next question is this; Can I still retain the seat belt and have the harness at the same time?

Wahoo...The nights are drawing out and the clocks change in a couple of weeks cool.gif