Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Things can only get better....

Myles

Phew!

The saga of the greenhouse patio base continues (after spending 'forever' over the last week or two digging, then compacting, then digging a bit more because the 80 kilo whacker-plate isn't as efficient as we'd (naively) hoped).

Started to lay the first slabs (and my first slabs ever).

I think I probably managed the 6 so far in about 1.25 to 1.5 hours *eek*

Part of the problem is that the slabs have a fake-stone type texture on them - so taking a level with a spirit level is hit and miss.

I do so hope this speeds up with practice - it looked like it was until I got to number 6 - this took about twice the length of any previous one...

Ars* *mad*

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

How are you laying them?

If on a sand bed then lay all the sand and level it out using a straight edge. Then lay away.

Try to level the bedding compound rather than each individual flag.

If you are using mortar spots then it`s each one. but you could set up a line to work to instead of levelling each one.

FOR SALE Birkin S3 2.0 Zetec 170bhp FOR SALE

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

Noooo, Noooo, nooooo....

Sand is bad (too squishy over time), mortar spots are bad (plenty of space for ants etc. and pressure points under the slabs)...

'Sharp' sand and cement mix is what we're using. It's OK, but slow. And it's just as well that I'm getting V7SLR (despite his Alcester prejudices *wink*) to help with the carbon wings this w/e.... *biggrin*

Steve,

That's one version for sure - unfortunately, everyone we spoke to (and every book/internet site) had their own ideas.

We settled on a mix and I think it'll be OK.

It doesn't really matter what method we use - levelling is a royal PITA anyway *mad*

REgds.

• 2 years later...