Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The dangers of wildlife

ewenm

As its had a bang, its worth changing the helmet now. They were not really available many moons ago when I went over the handlebars of my bike and banged my head on the road. Now only partially sighted in left eye as a consequence due to the impact tearing my retina. There is an old expression that says you 'see stars'. I thought it was a joke until that day when I went totally blind for several hours as I could see nothing but thousands of pinpricks of light in front of me. Not a happy day and not one I want to repeat, but I do still cycle a lot albeit with a 'lid' on.

Yeah, I always replace the helmet after any impact. Giro used to do a free/cheap replacement scheme if you returned the knackered one.

Discovered last night that beer doesn't take away the throbbing pain *thumbdown*, but does mask acute pain *thumbup*

70443 miles and counting... but no headlights

Ewen - hope you are feeling 'on the mend' soon.

I'm confused over your sporting activities, though. I figured you were referring to cross-country (running) - XC - but since you took the trouble to specify which bike you were on ( and referred to to your frequency of replacing crash-helmet) I started to wonder if you were actually training for cyclo-cross? ( CX ) - Not sure that's an Olympic discipline, though.

tony

Tony - I'm a bit of a nutter about aerobic sports I only get competitive about running (track, road and xc) but also spend a fair amount of time road biking and mtb-ing. Sadly, I'm particularly good at falling off my mtb *tongue* Not replaced a helmet for a while though.

Twas very dark indeed. Pooh plasters would be good *thumbup* 😬

Been researching waterproof plaster-casts - you'd think that in this day and age of amazing materials, they could give me a cast that can survive showers and getting wet generally. Apparently they do exist so I'll have to ask for one when I get a new cast on Wednesday.

ewen, i've waterproof plasters twice on the same wrist. think of them as a water resisant watch. the inside is still cloth, the outside is a fiberglass weave that hardened after being imersed in water, then exposed to air.

you still should put a plastic bag & elastic band over the plaster when showering/bathing.

it is hundreds of %'s lighter in weight. you still don't want the inside getting wet jUst like a plaster based plaster.

hope wednesday goes OK *thumbup*

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD Join us on the USA 2005 tour......HERE

I've researched it a bit - the main hurdle seems to be cost... *confused* I just need one that doesn't mind getting a bit damp/sweaty if I race or train in it. I'll play up on the "I'm a potential Olympic athlete and need to train" angle *tongue*