Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel gauge

Phil Bishop

Phil I think this is common to a lot of cars (But you would think in this day and age manufacturers could devise an accurate linear fuel gauage that tells you exactly whatis left in the tank) Many tank senders are based on victorian ball valve technology. My tin top is a new mondeo which in so many ways is a truly excellent vehicle but the fuel gauge drops slowly to the i/2 way mark and once its over centre plummets to empty in no time at all. I usually use the trip meter to tell me when I need to fuel up again as the gauge seems not to be all that accurate. Ps the fuel guages in Piper aircraft are even more horrendous telling you you got 1/2 tanks when the B****rs are virtually empty!, I Never ever trust them.

Well, when I had to renew the ali fuel tank (micro holes!!!) I cleaned the wiper arm assy on the sender and then with a totally dry tank set it up so that it was reading full deflection when gently lifted to maximum up position (ie full tank). This was achieved by slight bending of the float arm. I then allowed it to lower and started filling the tank from 1 gallon plastic cans. The first one didn't even show on the gauge. The second one got it to move a little and when it was filled to the top it showed full on the gauge! It is now fairly good at giving about a 160-180 mile range. I have tried running it right onto the bottom where I guess it uses some of that first 'invisible' gallon and have got 200 miles (when being brave/adventurous/curious before it showed signs of fuel starvation around a luckily local roundabout!!!

By the way, this is an accurate 200 miles (not a normal Caterham speedo 200 miles).

Andy G.

Sounds like the damping has gone in your gauge. Not a VDO unit is it?

Edited by - CHRIS CLARK on 12 Oct 2003 23:35:44

Check the earth to the unit - there's a cable under the left hand side of the dash which tends to fail to make a circuit over time . Gets you lots of funny stuff - does it get worse when you turn the lights on or the indicators? If so - earth *cool*

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs