Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BIKESHED DEBATE

Head Prefect

As you have all seen, the Headmaster was very *mad* yesterday. He was however, pleased that the people concerned owned up and took their punishment in the manner expected of all members of this school *thumbup*

He is most concerned that his bandwidth is becoming compromised by some of the Bikeshed subject matter. (I did offer to re-design the top of his trousers in my needlework class but for some inexplicable reason, he refused my offer) *tongue* He is perfectly happy to let us improve our English language and literary skills as this helps develop our characters before we go out into the big wide world but he has asked if we can desist from 'refreshing' the subject matter as this is not part of the national curriculum and revision should be done at home.

The School Governors only allow him a limited budget and if we abuse our privileges, we may find that he'll be forced to close the Bikesheds before the end of term ☹️ (This is something to do with Health and Safety regulations.... too much wibble in the ether could lead to an implosion) *eek*

The Prefects suggested that we could have a weekly clear-out of the detritus which manages to accumulate. Headmaster was concerned that some of the shedders might cry if he did that but I think we're all reasonably intelligent students and quite frankly, if you look around, we really could do with a major blitz on some of the cupboards. This won't cost us any of our pocket money as he has a very special vacuum cleaner 😳

So, could you all vote please on the following motion:

The Bikesheds needs a regular clear-out

OK folks, who's turn was it to bring the doughnuts today 🤔 *tongue*

I agree with LLW - a clearout won't help. What will help is making sure that indivisual posts are too long (unless there's a good reason) and that we don't do any silly things like refeshing them too much.

PS If anybody sees FH then please tell her I'll try to ring later today.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

Nooooooo ☹️ Please don't clear out the old threads (all right, I don't object to expelling troublemakers like "100000"...).

[nostalgia mode]

It would break an old hoarder's heart. There is some priceless wibble in the cupboards here...

I've used the search function in the Sheds as much as anywhere.

[/nostalgia mode]

M *smile*

[nostalgia mode auto-on]

😳 nothing...

As I have said before Compooters to me are just another form of magic so I am not quite sure on what makes a thread big or not. Is it the amount of words or is it links or is it the amount of posts or the amount of times people visit it.

I pop in and out of the sheds so I don't tend to refresh when I'm there but is this good or bad.

As to deleting posts - if this means we keep the sheds then fine but there are certain threads which are sometimes more than wibble and we may want to access again - such as the arrangements for the Birkett or advice on general topics.

Perhaps we could leave it to the head to delete those he felt we would not miss? But obviously that puts extra work on him, which might not be so good.

I vote for whatever the Head Master thinks is required to cut down on bandwidth usage. If it means archiving/deleting/or even closing the sheds to keep Blatchat up and running, c'est la vie.

I would be very upset if the sheds were closed as I now find myself logging on to Blatchat and going straight to the sheds before any other forum, BUT looking at the big picture I'd rather have Blatchat without the sheds than no Blatchat at all!

On the other hand, if all shedders started thinking before doing 'very silly things' the need for this thread would disappear. C'mon boys and girls, play nice!

Ouch, my head hurts after being serious.......

Time for sillyness!

WEEEEE, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, WEEEEEEEEE *eek*

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Can't we just have topics archived off into a read-only, locked state?

Most of the wibble, is just that, but there are some bits of info. (Birkett, yep) that have long (and genuinely useful) half-lives. There is no easy way to differentiate between detritus and useful wibble, but it would be bad news to lose it all.

Someone is bound to suggest that useful wibble could be posted elsewhere, but this is tricky due to it being (for the most part) exclusively aimed at the shed crowd. It's not that such postings have an elitist aim (they are already publicly posted after all), but if it is posted elsewhere, it would cease to be shed material.

Dunno really. Keeping the sheds alive is the most important goal, but how it is achieved is up for debate.

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

I've spoken to Sir and also to Head Prefect. HP isn't very good a 'pooters as he's doing arty subjects - which is good as I can't draw *smile*

Anyway - clearing out the shed won't really help - the problem is sending information back and forth. So, the things that cause a problem are:

*arrowright* BIG posts - whenever anybody views these or replies to them they get sent across the ether. This has bee mitigated by replies only viewing the 1st and 15 most recent posts. This also means that long running threads aren't a problem anymore

*arrowright* refreshing, or view pages lots of times - everytime you ask to see something the shed 'pooter sends a copy toyou. if you ask 10,000 times it sends 10,000 copies. Its very roughly 0.01 p for each page I'd guess. But there's probably only a few quid per person in the kitty - so PLEASE DON'T DO THIS

On the other hand these things aren't a problem

*arrowright* keeping old posts (hard disk space is cheap and we have enough)

*arrowright* wibbling

*arrowright* raffles

*arrowright* fun

*arrowright* sweets

*arrowright* lurkers

*arrowright* finding lost pets

*arrowright* cheering each other up

so the bikesheds is PERFECTLY SAFE IFF we behave nicely.

Hope that helps

*smile*

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

Edited by - hoopy on 8 Oct 2003 12:37:13

Ooh thanks Hoops for the explanation. I had a look at this topic a while ago 'cos I like debates but didn't understand ☹️

But do you mean that it's a "bad thing" to pop in and have a look at a topic to see 'where it's going' - 'cos that's what I thought everyone, here and upstairs does. Little folder on LHS is all purple, so you go and look to see what someone's said *confused*

It's very refreshing to see that we're at such a liberal-minded establishment where both sexes do needlework *eek* Must remind self to ensure Mr FH learns how to use a needle for purposes other than digging out splinters 😳

Also, does what you've said mean that we don't need to vote? *confused*

Sorry for being so thick ☹️

Just thought of another thing.... do you mean that a long dissertation written in the message section takes up lots of space, so it's better to put a [ "url" ] thingy up? or does that sort of link to pix etc use up lots of space too??? SFBST

FH *cool*

Edited by - fullharness on 8 Oct 2003 13:00:20

Links to other places are no problems. Long dissertations, hmmmm, should be OK, but it depends how long. Text is usually fine until someone goes silly and posts all the numbers between 500 and 4000!

If you have the ability to put your dissertation on the web somewhere and link to it, all well and good, but if someone looks through the archives and finds the link the original web page will have to exist for them to read it IYSWIM.

Liks are bad IF you write a post with links, where the links are pointing to individual letters 😬

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

popping in to see what's happening is fine. as long as you don't do it every second for every topic every day *eek*

a link is better than copying in the contents of a website. it'd be nice to paraphrase it for those with a slow connection though.

i think the smileys aren't too bad - the picture is only sent once and after that it remembers it.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R