Click here if you are having website access problems ×

brake upgrade

Normans_Ghost

Simon, just checked out the rally designs kit. It's Wilwood and has a 285mm disc (about 11.25") against the 10" from CC. Also about £100 chaeper. So, it look like those are the ones, thanks.

Rob, The Wilwood kit has 2 pad options for road use, both 0-900c one at £45 the other at £50 (aprox), but I'm not sure what the difference is, and neither does the guy at RD!

The reason for the question was that I felt that if I was going to upgrade brakes, might as well get the largest disc that'll fit into the 15" wheel.

Just going measure ID of wheel to see if it looks ok'

norman verona

1989 BDR

Hmm I seem to remeber your car is a fairly pokey BDR so therefore you probably want some reasonable pads. I could be wrong but at £45/50 the chances are they are going to be standardish road pads or green stuff type pads

I guess it depends on the tyres but if you're on sticky ones then it's quite easy to cook those sort of pads, if you're on normal road tyres on the other hand they may well be fine.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Norman

go for the kit that will fit under the 13" wheels as you may well down size at a later date as caterhams run better on 13" wheels and the tyres are far cheaper.. they will be plenty good enough, and as a caterham is so light you will have trouble getting heat into the front pads if you go too big

I am running either the polymatrix D pads which are ok, I run the mintex 1144 for track days and sprints but they tend to squeel.

Possibly the polymatrix Tan pads which work at cooler temps may be better, I have done 50K miles on the poly D pads and have not worn them by 1mm yet! including track days

A brake bias valve is also highly reccomended (£45 from RD.)

Simon

Simon, thanks, I'm leaning towards the Caterham kit cause it appears you need disc bells, adaptor plates & pipe adaptors with the Wilwood kit. Not a problem in itself but can't be bothered running all over the place to get the right bits. Can't see a 45.00 brake bias valve in DT book, sorry to be a nuisance but any idea which one?

norman verona

1989 BDR

Edited by - nverona on 7 Oct 2003 17:15:23

Norman

The willwood kit suppied RD for me uses a disk which is a direct replacement, the calipers bolt to a bracket that then bolts to the upright, (all supplied in the kit) and I had RD make up the pipes at the same time so it all came together.

but that said at the time it was half the price of the caterham kit so there was no contest, if there is only £100 in it then go with the cterham kit

the bias valve is a willwood iten at about £45 from RD DT have similar for 60+vat on page 248

don't forget if you go 4 pot on the front a new race master cylinder will be needed if you want to maintain the same pedal travel as before

Simon

Oh well, wrong about price! CC is 157.85 for m/cyl + 646.25 for calliper/discs +VAT, total 997.69

Wilwood kit is:

11.25 vented disc & calliper kit 399.00

pads 55.00

Bios valve 45.00 (would need this on CC kit)

new pipes 18.00

M/cyl (unkown at moment,say) 50.00 (can't see one more than 80.00 on the web site)

total 567.00 + vat = 666.25

Saving over 330.00

The other matter that's swaying me towards the Wilwood setup is Rally Design. Helpfull, knowledgable & courteous, unlike CC where everythings a problem and make you feel that they're doing YOU a favour taking a grand of your money.

Another thing is, of course, price - the bios valve is 45.50 from RD and the same item is 60.00 from DT.

norman verona

1989 BDR

Paul, not according to the web site:

Shopping Cart

Review your order below. To change the quantity of an item, enter a new number in the Quantity box. After making changes, click the Update button to adjust your order.

DESCRIPTION DELETE QTY PRICE TOTAL

Aluminium Brake Master Cylinder 13/16 £157.05 £157.05

Note that your order subtotal does not include applicable sales tax.

Or have I got it wrong again?

norman verona

1989 BDR

I went fot the Willwood brales but the CC Master cylinder which cost 157+VAT so about £180 because it was a direct bolt on replacement but I only fitted it about 1 year after fitting the brakes.

The bias valve I fitted last week because I wanted to do more fiddling

Simon

Paul, I was suspicious of "sales tax" but thought it meant VAT. Even so the Wilwood kit is still over 100 cheaper and, looks better cause of larger vented discs. I'll talk to Rally Design in morning and make a final descion.

Simon, why then CC m/cylinder?

norman verona

1989 BDR

Edited by - nverona on 8 Oct 2003 23:16:59

• Support Team

Norman,

Although many people seem to recommend fitting the race master cylinder, you might want to fit the bigger brakes without the new m/c first and see if you like it. I have the AP 4 pots but a normal m/c and it seems fine (in my limited experience). Could save you some money. If you don't like it then you can always buy the m/c later.

From reading previous threads on brakes, the race m/c gives a very, very short pedal travel which probably takes some getting used to.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

the race m/c has a bigger bore so the pedal will be harder and take less travel to do the same thing at the brake end.

however - its also a bit less spngy i think - ie better quality so there's a bit less play in it

also - the big brakes have a biggr piston area so need more brake fluid for the same effect - hence the race m/c works really well with them.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R