Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake pedal mounting for dwarfs

max_torque

Has anyone actually tried to mount the brake pedal on the "short" setting, ie with the pivot bolt (goes through both brake and clutch) in the hole closest to the scuttle panel?

when i try this the threaded bar that sticks out of the brake master cylinder is so long that even with the nuts for the clevis spun right down the the end of the threads the brake pedal is unaccepatably high and the bar fouls the brake pedal?

i though about just sawing some of the thread off the bar and running a tap down it to extend the threaded portion closer to the scuttle, but it is a rolled thread so there is not sufficient major diameter to do this.

i guess most people have the opposite problem of being too big for the car 😬

(PS it's not my car - i'm 6.2' tall!!)

• Support Team

The eternal problem for those of us who are vertically challenged ☹️. I run my pedals on that setting and the brake pedal does sit a bit high but with a lot of fiddling around, it doesn't actually foul on anything. When I first moved it I had major problems with the front brakes rubbing but I eventually resolved it. Someone recommended sawing a little off the end of the master cylinder threaded bar but I didn't try that - it would almost certainly work but may have issues later if trying to move the pedals back to another setting. I believe some people have left the pedals in the centre position and added blocks to them as an extension - I've never seen an example of this though. Another possible adjustment is to use washers under the master cylinder mountings to alter the angle of the rod - that might stop the fouling.

If you find a solution then I would love to hear it as my setup is still a bit compromised.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

The current solution (assuming that those helpful people at Caterham don't come back with a shorter rod version master cylinder) is that i'm gonna machine up a short rod with the threading closer to the master cylinder end. Or alternatively space the master cylinder away from the pedal box with an alluminium spacer.

But the first option is removing weight, the 2nd option adds weight, and as it's an academy car every gram counts! 😬