Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

HPC head gasket blown

Stuart Wallace

Hi

had exactly this problem on my VX even with a restricor fitted to the small return hose to the expasion tank.

There did not seem to be enough capacity in the rover expansion tank.

I fitted a larger round tank from a VX car with a new VX cap.

Problem solved.

John *smile* *smile*

I had the same problem last year and refused to admit it was the head gasket.I eventually changed it for an all steel one from bob jones in manchester and it has been perfect ever since.I have heard a few stories about gaskets only lasting a short while especially when thrashed.For the cost of a head gasket and some bolts it is worth changing.The expansion bottle caps are cheaper from Caterham than rover as well which was a shock.Andy G

GRIFF

I've never had a head gasket problem, and never seen any evidence of any leakage when i have removed them from my engine. Overheating problems have always been airlocks.

When fillling the cooling system, I now always run the engine until the fan kicks in with the expansion tank at the highest point, the cap off the exp tank and the rad bleed screw undone.

Only when my fingers get burnt at each of these points do I do things up!

Seeing as K2 RUM ran in excess of 12:1 compression I think you guys are worrying about nothing.

Bleed the system.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Arnie,

I've had tried to bleed the system your way and the it does not get hot enough to open the thermosat. Thanks for the input everyone but I've given up trying to understand this little problem so I've booked the thing into Western Road Garage Shoreham for this Wednesday so Paul can sort it out.

Thanks again

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Not Head gasket, but a bit of metal moving about in the thermostat bowl and making contact with the sensor every now and then and making the temp gauge go up to 100 when it did so.

Many thanks to all, with special thanks to Western Road Garage (Paul Harvey and Dave) who said that the head gasket was O.K despite the fact I was willing to foot the bill for a new one and for pointing out I was over filling the expansion tank. And to Arnie Webb who spent a good deal of time on the phone talking me through almost every thing it could possibly be, including taking the sensor out and putting some copper slip on the tread. With the stat and the sensor out I just spotted the half circle of metal (probably from an old thermostat) sitting in the bottom of the bowl.

Thanks again,

Stuart