Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Source of oil catch tanks

Tony Martyr

Where does one find sub-1 litre sized catch tanks for oil?

I have decided that the French mineral water bottle and duct tape lash up has to be replaced

The D_tweeks catalogue only has 1.5 litre aluminium devices - nice but too big and expensive as the most my k series engine has ever vomitted out is about 300ml

I'm sure I have seen plastic bottles with proper caps containing 1.2 inch connectors and breathers on other cars - where did they come from?

• Leadership Team

Pierre - It's a requirement for doing L7club track days over here. Having seen how much oil my old X-flow used to use before the re-build, I would not have wanted to be following me without a catch tank!

Mark - beware, Autocross is moving from Bracknell to Wokingham (In fact, may already have done so).

I believe that their new address is:

Cedar House

Eastheath Avenue

Wokingham RG4 12PR.

Regards - Michael.

Normal K-series installations recycle the crank fumes into the inlet tract. This is good for emissions, but bad for detonation. A standard tune of engine seems to cope, but anything tuned adn used on track probably benefits from a catch tank implementation. Dry sump implementations vent externally anyway, so need a catch tank.

My Xflow has a dry sump tank, this has a vent to the atmosphere, but of course, as the vent is right at the top of the tank, it can't blow oil out. Does this still have to be vented into a catch tank for use in Hill Climbing/Sprints?? I am sure that the 'blue' book says something about venting, but I don't have mine yet.

Would I also need a battery isolator switch?

The catch tank has to deal with a lot of blowby gas as well as oil vapour and should therefore have an exit for the gases to leave the tank , if you dont do this the crankcase and tank will just pressurize. The feed-back mentioned is simply a vent from the tank to recylce the blowby gas to the plenum after any oil has condensed into the tank.

oily