Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Weird Smell

RobM

Having not driven my seven for about 3 weeks, I decided to go out for a drive in it today. I wasn't going particularly fast, hardly using the brakes (as usual), and just driving fairly normally. However, everytime I slowed down I could smell a very strong smell like burning sugar.

A strange one, I know, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else had come across this. The discs were cool enough to hold my hand on (so I doubt its my brakes sticking), and if any of my Apollo pipes were getting burnt, surely it would smell of rubber, not caramel cooking?

I've never smelt this before in my car! It appeared to be coming from the far front of the car, near where the Apollo tank sits.

Its a '99 VVC Caterham 7, with an Apollo tank fitted, but otherwise totally standard.

- How can such a cute looking car sound so ferocious! -

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall sit by the Caterham tonight with a gun and wait! *wink*

The only thing that I can think of is one of the Apollo tank pipes could be rubbing on the tank itself. (they loop back round close to it). They've never done it before, but they aren't pure rubber (like a radiator pipe). Maybe the compound smells of caramel when you heat it?!!

Check that the oil feed/return pipes on the Apollo aren't chafing on the alternator belt where they pass through between the belt runs. They may seem central, but try giving 'em a wiggle. They may be able to move enough 'when on the roll' to just touch giving a smell problem.

The other one to look/smell at is that a cat/dog has pi**ed on the nosecone/rad area. Not a nice smell!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Tonight I think it'll be nosecone off and have a good look. I reckon it might be the Apollo Tank pipes. They aren't ordinary rubber I suppose, so that may smell odd.

We do have a cat, yes. He's not in the Caterham, as I saw him this morning!

I'll let you know if I find anything conclusive.

If anyone's interested, I've discovered what the weird smell was!! *thumbup*

There was an apple wedged between the exhaust and the heat shield! It must have been flicked up by the front wheel of the car and striked a perfect shot between the two! It was completely out of sight, but a good long drive to Goodwood and back today caused it to start to melt and ouse out of the heat shield vent holes 😬 😬

I'm relieved it wasn't mechanical! I didn't think I had smelt anything like that on a car before 😬

Without wishing to start a thread on baked apples, yes, I remember that as a kid *thumbup*

Feel free to come over to my garage with some brown sugar if you fancy the apple. You'll need a knitting needle to remove it *cool* Its baked the Goodwood way *cool*. I always find a bit of Lavant followed by Woodcote cooks the apple delightfully!