Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A little culture to the sheds.

KevSull Too

Although I read a lot, I don't read an awful lot of fiction. My current book is "Aeons" which is a history of how man worked out the age of the earth (and consequently) the Universe. It's actually a good read, full of eccentric and dedicated characters - like Archibishop Ussher of Armagh, who, by adding up the ages of the characters and patriarchs appearing in the Old Testament , calculated that the universe came into being at 6.pm on 22 October 4004 BC.

Archibishop Ussher of Armagh, who, by adding up the ages of the characters and patriarchs appearing in the Old Testament , calculated that the universe came into being at 6.pm on 22 October 4004 BC

Priceless! Cosmology was a lot easier in those days....

It took him most of his life to work this out. He referred to three versions of the Bible (Greek, Hebrew and Chaldean - all different in some fundamental respects) and, because he backed the wrong side in the English Civil war, had to flee London when the Parliamentarians took over, taking his precious library and notes with him. Previously, he had had had to survive an uprising in Ireland and rescue all his books from Trinity College Dublin (which is why they were in London in the first place). After he died, Cromwell, to give him his due (considering Ussher had been on the "enemy" side) ensured that Ussher's papers and books were given back to Trinity College Dublin - where they are to this day.

Although his answer to the age of the earth was hopelessly wrong and is nowadays held up in ridicule, he actually was the first person to try a systematic approach to working it out.

OK,

for the company sponsored trips out - it tends to be Graham Greene (type) and or Motorsport

by the bed - Are you being serious! Beds are for... ...sleeping, not reading! *wink* *tongue*

by the dunnies - Always autotrader, motorsport news, MCN and pracical classics *biggrin*

And now guess where the peace and quiet is in this house 😬 *idea* *eek*

BB

I loved the Discworld books at first but now find them a bit too samey.

By the bed - Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Briefcase - briefcase *confused* I drive a Seven every day, no briefcase.

I'm only here to test my sig anyway *eek* *eek* *eek*

Tony

M1 7 SMW R200 (aka 1.4SS)

Just back from a lunchtime walk into lovely Bracknell town centre. Bookshop had Pratchetts new one on the shelves. My mammy is going to get it for me for Chistmas, so I've got to wait that long to read it. AAARRRGGGHHHH.......

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

I've just found my book, it's called the MGB and was written by a Mr Haynes.

It's got lots of oily fingerprints and was a right riveting read, I couldn't put it down.

I mostly read it in the garage.

What would be a good 2nd book to get ????

I'm a bit fed up with my son's choice in reading material which mostly concerns a family of odd people called Mum, Dad, Biff & Chip together with their dog Fluffy. This family are not petrolheads and never seem to go down the pub or have a curry.

Paul

PS I'm really looking forward to getting a 2nd book

Supercheese R250