Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duxford - last airshow 2003

Rachael

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from the display web site:

"Among the aircraft scheduled to appear at the Show will be Spitfires which appeared in the 1968 film The Battle of Britain starring Susannah York and Ian McShane"

Claim to fame:

My Uncle worked on the special effects on that film (lots of 1/2 and 1/4 scale aircraft models)

Guy

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

To be honest, the model work in "Battle of Britain" does not stand up to close scrutiny. They used flying scale models for the sequence depicting the Junker 87 attack on the radar stations. Since there were no airworthy Ju 87s at the time (or now, for that matter), they had to resort to models. Unfortunately, when they exploded them they looked just like a model falling part.

I understand that they converted a couple of Percival Proctor light aircraft to look like Stukas but they were even less convicing and were not used. Having said that, I've never seen a picture of thse conversions so I wonder were any actually made?

The effect in BoB were pretty dire in general! My Uncle used to take great delight in pointing out the various wires and cables that were in shot, like pulling walls over, pulling the models along (ISTR a spit blowing up on take off, it was towed behind a Landie and the explosives were detonated by wire). But then it was a while ago.

Oh, same Uncle also actually appears in Le Mans, which he also worked on. ISTR he's one of the mechanics in a shot of McQueen getting out of the car in the pits.

Guy

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

I know Harry Saltzmann was one of the producers of "B of B". Was he in league with Cubby Broccoli on this one? Saltzmann and Brocolli were the producers of the Bond movies and they had some of the best special effects people on board at the time. They also produced "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" around the same time (well, we all make mistakes).

Hendon has a Ju 87. Eric, you are right about the Proctors - Ju 87 mock up. Looked crap & where unstable in flight, so they built the models instead. BoB is the best aircraft movie IMO. The air to air scenes have not been bettered in any war film (IMO), of course there are technology limits (like the massed He1-11 formations) but over all its very good.

A camera man was hung on a gantry beneath a hovering heli to get some of the footage - brave bloke with all those a/c buzzing around.

Incidently, one of the film locations and one of the few surviving operation BoB airfields, North Weald in Essex, is under real threat. This is a thriving airfield and is threatened with development. A number of vintage aircraft live there & it is a popular private flying & flying school airfield.

For information of how you can help in the campaing to save the airfield, have a look at

http://www.northwealdairfield.org/campaign_/campaign_.html

I have no connection to the campaign, its just I care about aviation heritage, & seems a few people here share my interest

Off my soapbox!

Edited by - TomB on 10 Oct 2003 22:58:21