Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duxford - last airshow 2003

Rachael

The fourth and final airshow of the year takes place at Duxford on Sunday 12/10/03.

I will of course be there drooling in anticpation of the Harrier turning up 😬 😬 if anyone wants to join me, that'd be great *wink* *thumbup*

Usual place, field off the A505...from about 1300. If you want to go in tickets are £18. There is no list of participating aircraft yet, but information should appear here if/when they have it.

If anyone wants to stop over the night before, then I am sure we can sort something out.

*wink*

Rach

Edited by - Rachael on 29 Sep 2003 13:41:29

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would you believe it 🤔 I can't make this one either ☹️

but only cos I'll be on holiday *thumbup* in Zambia *cool* preparing to go rafting down the wild and crocodile infested *eek* Zambezi 😬 😬

oh, and spent most of the week before last being treated to daily fly pasts of Harriers etc whilst in Snowdonia *thumbup*

Caterham 21 VHPD *cool* - one of the few *thumbup*

just remembered - its he long awaited Em meets my parents weekend (instead of the 2 previous Em and I work in my parents garage and they pop in and say hello). We booked it 3 months ago as rthe first free weekend so it CAN'T be moved.

Will have to see you at one next year *smile*

hmm... when is the first one next year 🤔 Fair chance we'll be living oop north by then and may bring some little 'uns!

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

er, Rach, are you sure there is going to be a Harrier

The only list I have found so far is this one

B-17 Flying Fortress

Sea Hurricane (Shuttleworth)

P-51 Mustang

Corsair

P-40 Kittyhawk

Spitfires (OFMC, HAC)

T-33

de Havilland Rapide

Autogyro

B-25 Mitchell (Sarinah probably)

DC3 Dakota

de Havilland Gypsy Moth

Stampe

Fieseler Storch (HAC)

T-28 Trojan

RAF Tucano

RAF Jaguar

RAF Hawk

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

What is a De Havilland Gypsy Moth?

As far as I know there was no official "Gypsy" Moth designation. The Moth family were almost all powered by versions of the De Havilland Gypsy engine which is sometimes why they were referred to as "Gypsy" Moths. The odd Moth was powered by an alternative engine such as the Armstrong Whitworth Cirrus in which case they would be referred to as "Cirrus" Moths. The actual Moth types were named after species of real moths so that is why we have:

Moth

Puss Moth

Leopard Moth

Hornet Moth

Fox Moth

Giant Moth

Tiger Moth

This cropped up before in a dicussion on the TV programme "Salvage Squad" where they referred to a DH60 Moth throughout the programme as a "Gypsy Moth".

As far as I know the only real "Gypsy Moth" was Francis Chichester's round the world yacht.

During a retreat when I was at school, the priest led a weighty discussion of things we all hated. I explained that I hated moths. There followed a lengthy detailed probing of my background and troubles, before people finally realised that I just hated moths, not girlfriends *wink*

Pat and his not quite black and white cat

Pendantic details.......... but wasn't the DH60G the Gypsy Moth?

BBMF at RAF Coningsby last Sunday was very impressive. 3xSpits, Hurricane, Dakota and Lanc all at low level, all at the same time, all directly overhead. 2nd Hurricane flew in early as did the Chipmunk.

Lanc lurked out of sight behind the BBMF hanger then roared over the spectators, followed by Lanc hiding behind trees and then roaring overhead, followed by Lanc skulking behind hangers-that-were-not-BBMF and then roaring overhead.

3xSpits + Hurricane very impressive, but jaw dropping moment for me was when the Chipmunk flew between (not over) two floodlight pylons ...... or is it parallax? *tongue* *wink*