Click here if you are having website access problems ×

carbon head-lamps

Marius

Ratrace have a single ex CCC carbon headlight shell which they are wondering whether to go ahead and produce quantities of. I think the opportunity exists to produce a smaller version to fit more modern lights and be more aerodynamic. That's just my idea though. Since Arnie stopped producing the carbon bits the gear that he used as far as I know has lain dormant perhaps we ought to threaten to put him on a diet unless he restarts production.

Stewart,Marius etc....

The lamps are extremely difficult to make, even when you manange to get the tooling made, you can only make the shell, and any compound radius less than 3.5 inches is virtually impossible to mould and retain the weave effect in the surface finish, hence why I made no more.

To this effect I have none left and the mould was scrapped after Jason Krebs set were made.

To the best of my knowledge no-one else is making these any more.

On the Carbon Screens front I need to borrow an R500 one to make the tool. As you will be aware these would be for my personal use only to avoid any copyright issues...... I think this is unlikley to happen until my JPE creen bites the dust...

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Protune bought the Carbon Component Company and the tooling they have from me.

When they asked my advice they were most concerned with whether the tools could be used for wet lay-up or if they had to go for "expensive vac forming".....

Guess they went the expensive route if the quality is good - either that or they are laquered (will probably chip).

Somebody told we a couple of weeks ago that they had gone out fo business!

Arnie Webb

I'm pretty certain they've hooked up with Ratrace Brents Cross area, North London).

I've only seen one cf headlamp shell to date and it looked pretty good. It may well be a leftover "sample" from CCC...

I believe they're trying to get premises sorted out before tooling up for any production runs so everything's a bit in the air at present. I've asked Ratrace to let me know when they have some new samples in so I can take a look and see how much they're going to charge for them.

C7 AJM

This is a message to all those concerned.Protune Racing is NOT going out of business as Mr Fast Arnie has posted,Infact we are so busy we are having to move location to expand our services and accomodate the vast ammounts of projects we are currently developing in all road and racing departments.A Press Release will follow ASAP.

PS Hi Andy M and all our other friends, Mr Fast Arnie Why don't you give us a call to find out the Facts,We will only be to happy to fill you in.

Rob,

"Somebody told we a couple of weeks ago that they had gone out of business!"

I did not say you had ceased trading, I was merely informing someone who was interested in the products of what I had heard. No slanderous intent.

Obvoius you haven't now.

Sorry.

Arnie Webb

Arnie, whilst Protune are still trading I suspect that some of their staff may now be involved with Ratrace as Andy has said. Who amongst those previously associated with Protune currently holds the rights to ex CCC tooling etc is unclear but parties at both Protune and Ratrace claim to. There seem to be several Carbon Fibre headlamp shells in the possession of both but I suspect neither have made any themselves and what's on show are samples of your handiwork from way back when.

Just noticed the chat on Protune, North London. I recently payed them a visit and they were bulging at the seams with numerous racing engines at various stages of re-build. I noticed two partially build Caterhams which seemed a bit special to me. Amazing colour schemes and lots of carbon. They proudly showed me several carbon components, nose cone etc. which seemed excellent quality to me.

Don't be fooled though, i was only having my 1990 cross flow serviced.

In my opinion, what these guys don't know about Caterhams isn't worth knowing.

C7 XSS