Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Where can I get a scuttle?

V7 SLR

Ooh £114 plus VAT from Caterham. I actually only want the "painted" piece, i.e. the bit that wraps over the top of the dash whereas Caterham will only supply it with the "bulkhead" part which it is pop rivetted to. I though this bulkhead part was fixed in place. Certainly looks fairly permanent on V7 anyway. [need a "shrug" icon Barry]

What's involved in removing the bulkhead panel? I've taken the top part of the scuttle off before.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

The Scuttle and the bulk head come off as one piece. It does look as if the bulk head is attached seperately , but that is not the case. The only other possible issue, is if you have a seperate heater blanking plate. If so that will be rivetted in place and will need drilling out before the scuttle can be removed. As Arnie says go to Arch

Arch won't sell me one direct because they are afraid of upsetting Caterham.

Caterham will only sell the scuttle with the bulkhead attached and despite what you say Paul, the bulkhead is a separate item rivetted onto the scuttle. I have had my scuttle off last Winter to attack the cabling under the dash. I do not want to remove the bulkhead and do not see why I should have to for the sake of drilling out 20 rivets.

So, looks like I'm faced with a £134 price tag. Seems steep to me. Wonder if I can make one. I'd only need a folding machine and some tin snips. I can use my current one as a template.

I haven't ruled out the kind offers of those here but I really want one without holes. Just out of curiosity, how much would you guys sell yours for? If it's suitably cheap I'll buy one and use it for a template to make my own.

Cheers.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

The Scuttle and bulk head is designed to come off as one piece. I did not say it was manufactured as one piece. There is nothing holding the bulk head in place apart from the scuttle and a bit of silicone rubber. Arch will sell you one, I can asure you

Mr V7 SLR, YHM

Edited by - Paul Bowden on 30 Sep 2003 10:26:11

The bulkhead has the steering column passing through it, as well as all the electrics mounted off it. I don't want to remove it really, particularly as it is sealed as you note with silicone and looks "comfortably" permanent. The scuttle panel can be removed in about 3 minutes whereas to remove the bulkhead as well would take a significantly longer time in removing the steering and electrics. I accept that removing the sealant is simple though. It's the other bits that make it more difficult.

One of the reasons for my wishing to remove the scuttle alone is to work on rationalising the electrical loom under the dash. With the bulkhead in place I can work on the fuseboard without having to remove it. Also in my car, the ECU (Emerald) is mounted on the other side of the bulkhead, using the same bolts as those which hold the fuseboard in place.

Have replied to your email. Thanks.

Nope. There's a problem somewhere. I keep getting this:

The following addresses had delivery problems:

Permanent Failure: 522_mailbox_full;_sz=10485632/10485760_ct=620/10000

Delivery last attempted at Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:40:30 -0000

God only knows where this is.