Click here if you are having website access problems ×

test (no, really, a test...)

tony pashley

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For many years I've written a quiz for the Surrey Area Xmas do... in recent years they've had less and less motorsport content to reflect the broad interests of members and partners. In those, I always tried to do it so that some of the questions had a clue or a hint woven into them, but it doesn't always work. An endless test of obscure facts gets a little dull, after all! I suppose writing a quiz is a little like compiling a cryptic crossword - the aim should be to put up a good close fight, but then lose gracefully.

On motorsport, I think Eric and I would drive each other bonkers with questions - (we both frequent the Atlas 'Nostalgia Forum' )... (I couldn't hope to match him on aviation or many other things...).

So, since he hasn't arrived yet, here's some more motoring stuff:

4) What is the connection between Monza, Suzuka, Hämeenlinna (a circuit in Finland) and my first Scalextric set?

5) What mechanical idiosyncrasy would you find on both a Citroën Xantia and an Alfasud?

6) Which current Grand Prix driver was christened in honour of a '70s motorcycling star of a very different nationality?

tony

I've been otherwise occupied most of the week - at "Cabaret" (with at least three Phoenix atendees turning up in the audience - well done chaps and chapesses).

Now, to the matters in question -

4. - well, if it was anything like MY first Scalextric set, was it that they all feature crossovers (supported by two carboard brick effect ramparts sporting Shell banners in the case of Scalextric)?

Tony, yours wasnt Set 50 by any chance?

5. - a guess, non-cancelling winndscreen wipers?

6. - Jarno Trulli (after some Finnish chap who was killed at Monza called Jarno Something Unpronounceable).

Well, it was only a matter of time...!

Hi, Eric - hope the show went well.

1) Yes, yes and yes (with a green Lotus ''25-ish'' and a red thing purporting to be a Cooper).

2) No, it's not something one might describe as a defficiency, just a less-normal way of doing things.

3) Yes - Jarno Sariinen (or Saarinen, or Sa...) - his Dad was a bike fan who was hugely inpressed by seeing him race. I think he broke the outright bike record at Monza on a 250, or some similar epic feat. Died young.

Ok, so it's harder questions in future! :-)

tony

love this sort of quiz *smile*

I got the anticlockwise one from the clue you gave after my first attempt but before i saw the answer from meldrew.

here's some more...

7) What did Peugeot have to do with the design of most Honda engines 🤔

8) what is a 'wobbly' wheel 🤔

9) what is a 'birdcage' 🤔

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

7) Dunno this one... did they 'invent' variable valve timing or something (hard to imagine there's something that Alfa didn't do before the war!)

8) Is this the 'wobbly web'? That emulated the shape that would be created if the circle was created by bending a continuous strip of metal, riding up into the 'waves' to take up the excess material. It gives a wheel which is rigid, has huge strength t the hub. A bit of a 'trade mark' feature on early Lotus racecars but seen on others too.

9) A Maserati T51? No, wrong number maybe... anyway the sports racer with the hugely complex spaceframe of very fine tubes (I was going to send you pic of one later in the week...!)

How we doing with Number 5?

tony

Edited by - tony pashley on 29 Sep 2003 19:15:40

I've also seen a T60 referred to as a Birdcage - but I'm not really sure what a T60 is, and the pics I've seen don't show enough to discern how different it is from 61 (or 62). No doubt there are many web-pages and cyber-shrines devoted to Masers... not a passion of mine really but they are nice things to behold...

tony