Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres, A Black Art. O/T. Non 7.

Nigel Riches

Got some 245/70-16 black round things on each corner of my Landcruiser, have been offered some tyres and wheels at a "can't go past this" price, but the magic numbers on the sidewall read, 30 x 9.5 x 15, so who knows the formula to find the equivalent dimensions in metric?, and I've been to the Miata (MX5) site tyre calculator, but it wont convert imperial to metric, any help appreciated, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• Support Team

I think that 30 is the diameter of the tyre in inches, 9.5 is the width in inches and 15 is the rim size in inches.

To compare the metric size: 245 is the width in mm (=9.65inches) therefore the section of the tyre is 245*0.7 (as 70 is the aspect ratio in percent) giving 171.5mm. This is 6.75 inches. There are 2 sections plus the wheel to make up the diameter giving (6.75*2)+16 = 29.5 inches. Therefore the main dimensions are pretty similar. However the rim size of the 2 tyres appears to be different as the current ones are 16" but you say the cheap ones are 15".

The cheap tyres could also be crossplies as they are measured differently to radials. Check your owners manual to see if they are suitable but they may not be as good on the road as the radials are.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If your current tyres are 245/70-16 then;

245mm wide tread area (thats about 9 5/8")

70% of 245 tall, that's the sidewall height

16 inch wheel diameter (still imperial, weird eh!)

and the new ones are 30 x 9.5 x 15;

30 inches diameter

9.5 inches wide tread area

15 inch wheel diameter

I don't think they will fit. Simply because the wheel diameters are different (i.e 16" current and 15" new).

Justin *cool*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Edited by - JAG on 25 Sep 2003 11:36:25

Thanks for all the replies, and stupid me forgot to say that I'll be getting some 15" wheels for these tyres to be mounted on, these are for the Land Cruiser, a second set for bashing through the boonies, so it appears the dimensions are close to the tyres already on the truck, so no big deal on speedo calibration, thanks again, most helpful, regards, Nigel.

P.S. The new cheapos are Kumho Ventura, and they are radials, according the the script on the sidewall, so no probs there, cheers all.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.