Click here if you are having website access problems ×

smoke from the bonnet grills!

New7er

Some advice please guys. I recently noticed when pulling hard up hills or accelerating hard, a thin wisp of smoke coming from the drivers side bonnet grills! Can smell a little oily too. Have good pressure on a xflow giving 2bar at idle and 4.5 at >3000 rpm. What do you reckon, piston rings or valve seals? *confused*

If you have got the standard cranckcase breather system feeding into a plastic catch tank fixed to the n/s footwell the `smoke' you are seeing coming up through the bonnet louvres is most likeley coming out of the catch tank breather hole. a few weeks back I posted a similar topic and Roger (King) described a first class fix which involves tapping unions into the rocker cover to carry oil fumes (and oil) back into the engine where it belongs. If you go back 2-4 weeks the posting was labelled `throwing Mobil 1 away' hope this is of use.

Thanks guys. Nothing to really worry about then and at 30k miles something to be proud of perhaps!!

I have replaced the exhaust gaskets with RK copper ones - great, but still smokin! I suspect its the catch tank area so will try the fix recommended, maybe. On the other hand there is something 7evenish about that smokin......!

Seems odd that the smoke is coming from the drivers side. It usually comes from oil contact with the the hot exhaust. If you haven't got an engine breather on the crankcase, I would say it is oil blowing back through the head or possibly the dipstick.

Terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.