Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VX steel cranks and tdc sensor

Swiss_Tony

Does anyone know if DKE make a steel crank with the same dimensions/layout as the standard one?

All the DKE ones I have seen are the light weight type.

Where can the tdc sensor be mounted with a vx steel crank?

I dont fancy having the sensor mounted under the front pulley.

Another option is on the back of the flywheel. Any other ideas?

James

Su77on Se7ens

Hi James

In my discussions with DKE last year they can make crank with std type trigger, although I opted for DKE light weight one without std trigger as running TB's and MBE

From recollection std type triggerthis was a special order, so might take a little longer.

Worth the wait though as quality better than other well known brands

By fitting the crank pulley below the front pulley I assume you are referring to the SBD set up where a 60-2 trigger wheel is put on the crank nose and the sensor mount is built into the front of the sump pan?

If so then I agree, this is the arrangment I have. It works fine on a Westfield which is what SBD designed it for originally but with the nose down attitude of the engine in a Caterham it makes the crank sensor very vulnerable to tarmac contact.

There are two possible solutions. SBD sell a magnetti marelli sensor which is much smaller than the standard sensor and the wire comes out at right angles, this gives more ground clearance, but isn't cheap. Second is what I did, I built a bracket out of 1/2 inch steel right angle bar and it sits on the front of the engine at about 2 o clock on the sensor wheel. You just put an offset into the easimap software and it knows where TDC is. Works fine.