Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Throttle problems - K Series

Kermit the K

when coming off the throttle pedal of my 1.6k, the engine takes a couple of seconds to react, and then the revs drop fairly gradually.

On full bore acceleration, the revs don't drop at all on gear changes.

this makes for pretty unsmooth(& unsafe) progress. At the moment I tend to "drive around" the problem and have adapted to this charecteristic but it's spoiling the experience some what.

I have removed the air filter, and the throttle snaps shut as soon as it is released. The pedal and cable also react instantly.

So it doesn't look like a mechanical problem. Has anyone experienced a similar fault? Are there any common electrical/ECU throttle probems? Could a Rover diagnostic check pinpoint the problem?

Any sugestions would be much appreciated, please speak slowly as I have the mechanical knowledge of a coconut! *confused*

Everything Louder Than Everything Else - Lemmy, Motorhead.

This sounds like a dodgy throttle pot, ( this is the electrical bit bolted to the throttle body with a 3 wire connector going to it)

The first thing to do is try re-setting it. the process for this is as follows ( anyone please correct me if I am wrong)

1 turn ignition on but do not sdtart engine

2 slowly press throttle min to max 5 times

3 switch off ignition

4 switch on again and start engine

if this does not work then a new throttle pot is in order and the best bet is to talk to Dave andrews (do a search for his number) as he will be far cheaper than Rover who charge about £80

changing the pot is an easy job and should take 5 mins so long as you have the right torex screw driver

process, 1, disconnect plug

2 undo two torrex bolts

3 remove pot

4 replace pot

5 re-fit two bolts

6 re-connect plug

7 re set as above

Hope this helps

Thanks Tiddy,

I've heard you can replace the throttle body with a larger one from the MG Trophy VVC which should give slightly more power, so my throttle problem sounds like a good excuse for an upgrade!

Just done a search on this, and it seems the IACV could also be a cause. Where the hell is the IACV?!

You say that once the air filter is removed it appers to be ok, if you have the plastic throttle body you may just be overtightning the air filter clip which then distorts the body which can cause symptoms like this. The plastic body is prone to sticking and many people change to the alloy body........

Good luck

Phil S7SVN

• Leadership Team

I had a similar problem after cleaning my TBs in a parafin bath - nothing more than lack of lubrication on the butterfly shaft. It appeared to be ok, but on closer examination the only noticeable fault was it closing slower than normal at very low throttle openings. In practice this sticking translated to a problem across the whole rev range. Squirt of WD40 first - it's the easiest job if that's all it takes.

Stu.

Sounds like the plastic plenum to me.

Try driving with the air filter back on with minimum tightening (but obviously enough to stop it falling straight back off), might be wise to just tape it up gently.

If this cures it buy Mavs alloy one *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

If it doesn't ignore everything I've said and remember to put jubilee clip back on and tighten appropriately.

Edited by - Nifty on 22 Sep 2003 20:10:32

Thanks for the advice, i'm now more confused than ever *confused*

If I go for a new VVC Throttle Body, will it come with a new Throttle Pot, thus killing two potential causes with one stone? Is the bigger throttle body larger externally, will my air filter still fit?

What's a MAP sensor?

HELP! *confused*

Kermit

yes and yes,

I run a VVC car and have fitted the new alloy throttle body, it is a direct bolt on replacement , comes with the pot and fits the same filter, you will however need to do the resetting procedure as described in my first post.

It has a larger internal diameter

But do not expect huge power gains, only a couple of bhp, on the VVC set up it has been used in combination with a series of other mods to get the power increase.

Simon

Kermit

yes and yes,

I run a VVC car and have fitted the new alloy throttle body, it is a direct bolt on replacement , comes with the pot and fits the same filter, you will however need to do the resetting procedure as described in my first post.

But do not expect huge power gains, only a couple of bhp, on the VVC set up it has been used in combination with a series of other mods to get the power increase.

Simon

Kermit

yes and yes,

Simon

Kermit

yes and yes,

Simon

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Thanks for that Tiddy(x3!), fitted a metal Trophy 160 throttle body today and it seems to have pretty much sorted the problem.

Went to my local Rover dealer(Richardsons, Tiverton) who were surprisingly helpfull. Said warped throttle body is a common problem and sold me the new Trophy one for £96. + vat, which isn't bad.

Drives much better now, sometimes there is still a hint of delay when I come off the gas, but it's hugely improved.

They also said they would be happy to plug the car into their diagnostic computer to check all was o.k. so i'll do that at some point.

Thanks for all the info, I'm off for a blat. 😬