Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dynalite brake pads

tiddy1

Does anyone have any experiance with brake pads for the willwood Dynalite calipers. I have been running with mintex 1144 but despite being good on the track the squeeling makes them un-usable on the road.

The calipers came with the Willwood polymatrix D pads which claim to be for 0-800F, but are not very good, I was thinking of trying the polymatrix TAN pads which are claimed to be good for 0-700F, I really don't think the disks can be getting very hot (vented cross drilled)

I am getting the rears locking before the fronts (rear 1144 standard brakes) but I think this is due to the decrease in effeciency of the fronts not the increase in effeciency of the rears.

it may be a glazing issue when switching from 1144 to poly D

As yet I have no bias valve but that would only reduce the rear effectiveness

so I am reluctant to fit one.

Any suggestions greatfully received

Simon

Simon,

sorry to hijack, but which Dynalites did you get and where did you get them from?

As far as your brakes go, if you are getting the rears locking, you really must fit the bias valve. If you can't press the pedal hard enough to lock the fronts, you're not going to reach maximal retardation. With respect to pads, what do you want to achieve? A harder pedal, a softer pedal, less fade, more bite?

Starting all over at 40.

Edited by - Oliver Sedlacek on 23 Sep 2003 09:08:39

Oliver,

I bought the dynalight 2 calipers and 235 mm vented xdrilled disks from rally designs, they do a kit for about £380.

I was hoping to get better bite with a lower temp pad, I don't think the current ones are getting hot and I have never worn out a pad,

I am reluctant to fit a bias as the rears have only started locking , i.e the fronts have stopped working so well, I was wondering if it was to do with the pads glazing, I switch between the mintex and the poly D pads for track days and sprints and I have heard thatthe poly pads only work once they have laid down a layer of material on the disk

Simon

Hoopy, how do you figure that one, I have tried every cure known to man to stop the squeeling which only happend between 1mph and 0 mph and no joy the only effective cure has been to change the pads

so my logic tells me it is the pads causing the squeeling!

Mintex admit that some pad materials are more prone to squealing than others, so I would keep looking at that. I really suspect that you are not getting enough heat into the fronts, and the pads may not be bedded in. Without the brake proportioning valve you may not be able to get them bedded in either.

Starting all over at 40.

Squeal from brakes must be related to high frequency vibrations and disc/pad/caliper and mounting arrangements must all have some influence. Squeal can change with the amount of pad wear as the thickness of the pad must also have some effect.

I guess Dynalites aren't quite as stiff as AP calipers and will have different behaviour with regard to the vibrations that cause squeal.

Most anti-squeal devices are designed to stop the transmission of vibrations but they tend to have a negative effect on pedal feel.

Mintex supply a sticky backed material to fix to their pads but I have never tried it.

I use Pagid RS14 on my rally car and the squeal was dreadful until I fitted stainless steel shims which completely cured the problem.

the pedal is not quite as good but still OK.

Don't forget if you change from pads like Mintex there may be a memory that affects the new pads unless you claern the discs quite thoroughly.