Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Live Axle Front Suspension

Bafty Crastard

I've carried this modification out and it seems to work ok. Its easy and included in the kit are all of the bits except the hole cutter which is most definately reqd if you want to carry out a neat job. There are other postings on this subject.

Check out Front end mods originated by Ammo. I also initiated a similar thread last year which I think can be found by using search.

Edited by - John E on 26 Feb 2001 14:30:12

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know where to get the 1" hole cutter from? I will be carrying out this mod. next weekend, assuming Caterham deliver all the necessary bits. I asked them about the hole cutter but they no longer stock them and couldn't suggest a supplier,

Cheers

Brent

Coming in on the backend of this conversation. This mod makes complete sense. I assume it has to include the top A-Arm link and a new Anti-Roll Bar along w/ other stuff. Who markets this? Or more appropiately, who should I buy the kit from? costs? and who else carries it?

Richard Gibson

Go to a Maplins Electronics shop. They have "cone cutters" in various sizes, purpose designed for cutting clean holes in ali leaving no burrs. I think the range covers 0.5" upto 2.5". Mine wnt upto 1" and cost less than £10.

John

• 1 month later...

When requesting the "top link conversion kit" make sure you ask for the ADJUSTABLE kit ! this is an all new one piece, adjustable, top wishbone similar to the De-Dion, not the half wishbone set-up, cost approx £175.00

HERPS !

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 25 Apr 2001 08:19:16

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 25 Apr 2001 09:56:55

Has anyone got any photo's of this job, particularly of how the additional link connects to the chassis.

My car's a de-dion but an '86 one and as such has the 'live-axle' front end. Being an older chassis I'm not sure if there's a mounting point for the additional link.

Any thoughts/comments would be welcomed as this project's definitely on my 'to-do' list.

Cheers in advance.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.c7kjt.co.uk

Kevin

The mounting point for the new front wishbone (not link)is the same, it uses a new bracket with longer bolts on the reverse side of the anti-rol bar mounts. You need to cut a neat hole with a cutter, a temp-plate is provided with the kit.

HERPS !

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 25 Apr 2001 09:59:33