Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Diesel Technology

Graham King

As a future high mileage motorist I am having to look into buying a diesel tintop, I am looking towards the Golf TDI's.

Can anyone explain for me what a "Common Rail Diesel" is and how Volkswagons "Pompe Douce"? (PD) system differs from it.

This is out of interest and also trying to work out if Volkswagon's system is the future or just different from everyone elses.

Thanks for any info available.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Someone did an article on just this recently I think it was Autocar.

I think the VW system has the injectors as an integral part of the head or something. Only VW use this type of technology and they want to stick with it. There are many arguements for and against.

Basically there is no definitive answer on it I believe!

It was autocar,a few weeks ago they explained it very well from what I recall. Unfortunately I can't remember enough about PD to explain exactly how it works, but it does seem to to be technologically in a different direction to which all the other manufacturers have gone. ie they have electrically triggered injectors where the VW PD system does not

PD uses a low pressure lift pump to provide oil to the "pump nozzle" this has a combination of a mechanical drive from the camshaft to provide a high pressure and a solonoid to open the nozzle at the right point. This gives very high pressure at the nozzle but slightly restricts the degree of accuracy with regard to pre injection (can do three staged injections).

Common rail has a high pressure pump which fills a common fuel rail at high pressure feeding all the injectors. The injectors are electronically triggered. Not such high pressure but greater control over injection (can do 6 staged injections).

Therefore PD is compact and simple, common rail is quieter as the greater control over injection gives less of a diesel "knock". Not all VWs use PD. The V6 engine is common rail.

Bob