Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Five minutes to go....

Myles

Well, I managed to drag myself away from BC after all...

...shortly before inflating a 700x23 skinny road bike tyre from zero PSI to 100+ using a big track pump (aiming for 120psi) - I was wondering why the pressure wasn't going up as quickly as normal, why there was a funny sound each time I pumped air in and why the transient pressure reading on the gauge hit 140-150 psi.

...and thereby caused one huge explosion by not following years of advice and common sense 😳 It was LOUD

Part of the inner tube must have got trapped between the rim and sidewall - should have checked at 300 psi that all was seated...

Doh!

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Erm, obviously I meant - checked at 30psi that it was seated...

They did ring for a bit - but I think that bit of my audio spectrum has already been fried during the time I spent as a range office at the uni gun club...

As a child, I found out that you could pump bike tyres up at the local service station...

...so I went there every day until I rode over a small piece of glass...

...that one took the outer cover apart *eek*

Heh,heh *biggrin*

Noooo, nothing to worry about... Just keep the push-bikes out of sight, and we should be OK *wink*

...and large calibre hand guns.

There was a time at uni when the Sunday Sport was running an offer selling 5 really cheap digital watches for 50p - so my flat-mate bought some. I decided to see what happened if you took a 45 semi-auto (a Glock - woohoo!) to one of these.

So I made some papier-mache out of newspaper, flour, water and *eggs* (erm, to help the whole lot bind together) and stuffed it in a baked bean tin.

It didn't want to dry - so I stuck it on the cooker hob and in the oven for a bit...

Took it down to the range - oh, yeah - the range was an underground concrete bunker with pretty poor ventillation, placed a wristwatch around the can, put the can/watch right at the end of the range just in front of the steel splash wall, placed the barrel of the Glock against the watch, covered my eyes and fired...

The idea had been to collect fragments of the watch in the papier mache...

...IIRC, I *did* find a small scrap of the watch strap after about 5 minutes...

...by which time the range was uninhabitable - the egg and flour mix had burnt at the bottom of the can - which of course I had just 'perforated' with a 45...

And I went on to get a 1st in Physics 😳

Oh, Meldrew - silver is it?

There was another time down the range...

...I was one of only two range officers who could put up with the agony of small-bore rifle shooting/tuition (you tie yourself into a kind of bondage jacket and lie immobile for quite a long time whilst all your muscles tie themselves up in knots...)

Anyway, on this particular day, I only had one student who wanted to shoot rifle - he was an American. We were both a bit bored - so he asked if he could shoot a dime (or was it a nickel? 5c I believe - whichever that is...)

Hmmm, OK then...

Chap shoots coin (at 25m with a .22 rimfire).

Slug returns slightly offline and buries itself in the mound of spent casings...

...'you probably shouldn't have let me do that' says he. Yep, I reply - just realising that the mass of the slug was about the same as that of the coin...

Let's just say he got to see a succesful experiment into basic mechanics/physics. *biggrin*

Then of course, there was skittle shooting...

You get some slightly second hand skittles from the local bowling alley and set them up on a table about 10m away.

You then get the largest calibre handguns you can find (we had a .44 snubnose magnum, the 45 calibre Glock semi-auto, some 357 magnums and one or two 9mm semi autos) and try to knock as many skittles down in the shortest time and with the fewest bullets.

You need big calible guns because -a) the slugs tend to move more slowly and b)it is easier to get them to coalesce (i.e. become embedded in) with the skittles rather than pinging off (not good in a concrete bunker...)

I can't remember if we'd run low on ammo or something - but after a while, the 44 and 45 were swapped for a 357 or a 9mm (smaller, faster, lighter bullets) - and erm, well, one of them richocheted (sic?) off a skittle, and exploded the strip light at the end of the range.

Light stopped play....

Glad to say that this wasn't my fault this time (I wasn't even the guy holding the gun...) I think that chap got a 3rd in Physics - just goes to show...

my;les, just south of my hometown in texas there's the gun range of the gods...

you can shoot an elephant gun

you can shoot a sniper's rifle

the best is to shoot AK-47, M-16, etc---at watermelons, canteloupes, glass jars full of petrol, and the tommygun cutting down trees... 😬 😬 😬

and to think i taught shooting to scouts, and NRA gun safety courses 😳

PS> ever seen Bowling for Columbine 🤔 🙆🏻 *thumbdown*

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD Join us on the USA 2005 tour......HERE

Steve-B,

Ooooooooooh...... I was talking about elephant guns just this PM.....

Say - if you're ever back there for a length of time, it'd be a great excuse for me to visit the US for the first time....

Hoopy - down boy! You are forgeting all of my awards for services to the British Brewing Industry....

AFAICR, two thingies of identical mass that do not coalesce, rebound with equal and opposite velocities - I really ought to go back and do the math...

There is no way you can stop a projectile dead unless it coalesces (I give up on speeeeeling at this time of nite) with a s*dding big object. Sorry - s*dding massive object).

Right - AFAICR, (just to contradict myself) you can stop an object dead - if: i) frictionless surface (e.g. CO2 puck), ii) same mass, iii) dead lucky.

And anyway - it happened! Granted - the yank (sorry S-B) hit it off-centre - so a fair bit of energy was diserpated (sic? sod it - spelling is damned hard at night...) - but it was a close call...

We really ough to work this one out...

No, I'm talking b*ll*x - momentum is conserved. You cannot stop an object dead by hitting another (without moving the big bugger a bit...). You can only get the rebound effect mentioned above with a fairly precise ratio of masses - methinks coin has to be about twice the mass of the slug - but will check....

Damn - no one will employ me now! Least of all Pat....

Nope, the coin was free-standing - so some of the energy and momentum went into spinning the coin.

The poor little fella (George Washington?) never had a chance though - our rifles didn't have any telescopic tomfoolery - but even at 25m, a .22 rimfire rifle will routinely pump 10 rounds into the size of a 5p piece...

...as a range instructor, I quite often got bored with slow shooting from the rifle students... so to hurry them along, I'd quite often shoot the paper clips that attached the targets to the horizontal piece of string that suspended them...

...or if *really* bored/impatient, you could shoot the string itself (it wouldn't break it) and knock all the targets to the floor...