Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

More Power

Chas Guirey

Apologies for raising this but I am going to increase the power in my 8v vauxhall. I have already discounted the 1600cc to 1800cc route as it is too expensive for the power gain and I still end up with an oddball engine. Mine however does run well hot or cold since ratrace serviced it.

Having read previous threads I know the Astra GTE XE engine will fit but they dont seem to come up very often in the local paper. 16 Valve 2 litre SRI engines being much more plentiful.

Has anyone done the conversion to the 2 litre 16v SRI engine and have a definitive list of what I will need to do to complete the transplant. Being about 130bhp can I use the same manifold and 40's?

Chas

astra gte 16v, early astra gsi, cav gsi, calibra 16v and early cav sri 16v all use the c20xe and there are loads about!! have a look at www.migweb.co.uk for a few

i would go for that engine over the x20xe ecotec engine as they arent all that great and some 15 bhp down to begin with (and more expensive)

Thanks for your help. I think I will go for the SRI engine as I have got an ital back axle and they seem more plentiful although most have been to the moon and back. Cant decide whether to pay more and install or pay less, rebuild and install. The latter seems the sensible but more expensive route in the short term. Or go for the latest ecotec I can find

Chas