Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

needed or not on jenvey TBs?

StephaneM

Hello,

I have a problem to fit my jenvey TBs to my Vx engine. My car is a Lhd & one part interfere with the alternator bracket... It won't be very easy to find another way to fix the alternator if I have to keep the part...

So the question is: Do I have to keep this part? my "garagist" said me that I don't need coolant fluid return (he fits a cap on it), like on carbs car, but I'm not sure... I don't know if this part is there for others cars applications...

You can see pictures here:

http://stefanauto.chez.tiscali.fr/RQ/2_my_bracket.JPG

http://stefanauto.chez.tiscali.fr/RQ/8_needed_or_not.JPG

Thanks in advance

Stéphane in France

Stephane, not 100^% sure I understand the question. but if you are suggesting doing away with the return feed for header tank from the throttle bodies, I understands that this can be done away with... well that is what DVA told me about 4 years ago.

...but if your problem is the alternator brcket, why not change the measurement of the bracket and use a belt that fits the new space?

I'm sure a Vx expert will come along and give you better guidance

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

John,

It is the water elbow on the inlet manifold which intereferes with the alternator.

I am not sure if this outlet can be closed off, as it actually provides a draw oin the coolant in the head into ythe water pump.

DVA's comments whilst indicative I would guess are targeted at the K not the VX??

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Some more thoughts to perfect confusion:

When I ran Webers on my VX this "hole" in the inlet-manifold was defintiyl blanked off, seemed to be like this on every standard HPC. I went on to Jenveys then using a similiar brackt like yours. The hose from the bracket goes directly into the inlet of the waterpump but we we found out that because of this bracket it´s b**** job to remove air out of the coolant system.

Does anyone know about the function of the hole behind the bracket ? Does it provide cool water for the head or does it remove hot water ?

I remeber seeing a Swindon engine with this hole closed on the manifold.

Would save weight, too. 😬

Marius

some news!

I did that:

http://stefanauto.chez.tiscali.fr/RQ/lhd-alternator-bracket.JPG

So now the alternator is fitted... & I try to install the accelerator câble in order to have only 1 180° turn... it is not so easy due to the chassis tube & the alternator... but I think it will be OK...

I will phone SBD next week to be sure that I can take this part away 😬 because it seems they are too busy to answer to my e-mails (I can understand of course, They are not here only for me... it's only easier for me to understand written technic english instead of spoken one...)

cheers

Stéphane in France.

My understanding is that this hole from the inlet manifold is designed to take hot water from the head back to the pump inlet when the thermostat is closed.

When the thermostat is closed it stops water flowing to the radiator but opens up a passage across the head and back to the pump inlet. This means water flows through the head while the engine warms up.

When the thermostat opens it closes off the water flow back to the pump suction via this hole through the inlet manifold and opens the flow to the top of the radiator.

If you run with no thermostat then you must blank off this hose otherwise water would rather flow through here than through the radiator. It's possible that if you see an engine with this hose blanked off that it has no thermostat fitted for some reason. Just because you have seen this doesn't mean it's safe to do on all engines, check with someone who knows a bit more than me, SBD, QED or Swindon.

Marius.

My Morgan (read: HPC with flared wings) definately has the hose from the head to the sub tube fitted.

I think Graham is right that this pipe provides limited water circulation before the thermostat opens, but I do not think this path closes with an open 'stat. It might have a reduction in flow, but it doesn't close.

Anyway, bottom line is that I'd leave the pipe in place. Blanking it may well lead to future trouble.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here