Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Your vote for the best Battery Conditioner

Gary G

I've done a search on Blat Chat and have come up with the following Battery Conditioners:

Airflow £39

Race-Technology £29

Halfords £16

I want a decent "intelligent" conditioner that I can leave attached to my battery throughout the winter (battery will be out of the car and in my warm house).

Which do you recommend? Are there any that I've missed?

I got an Airflow last year at the Classic car show, NEC for £30. It's been great no problems. Comes with a kit which allows you to wire it in permanently, I've got the connector under the dash so no need to lift the bonnet. This years show at the NEC is on Nov 8/9 and covers 6 halls so looks like being a goody

Phil S7SVN

My Race Technology one works well. I only bought it this year after letting last year's battery die but it comes well recommended. As I bought the AC-22 from them and have had no problems except one which was sorted out quickly and under warranty, I have no complaints and would heartily recommend it.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Gary

I use the Carcoon one, it's normally used to power both the fan on the overall car cover and the battery monitor, I use it just for the monitor.

I have used this one for about 3 or 4 years with no problem, I think they cost about £50.

Carcoon 'phone no: is 0161-737-9690 or www.carcoon.co.uk

John

The one from Halfords is made by Draper. Half the price and does the job just fine. I had big problems with my Elise discharging its battery and this cure the problem. You can also by a kit to connect it from the dash however halfords don't stock it. Try the Draper website.

W.Nut.

Rosso Superlight no.087

Thanks for your replies. So far we have:

Airflow = 3

Race Technology = 1

Halfords/Draper = 3

Optimate = 2

We have a dead heat between Airflow and Halfords.

So the deciding factors are:

Price - Halfords wins

Chris W knows his electronics - Halfords wins

So Halfords it is then.

Thanks for your help! *thumbup*

C7 GAR

Richard

The one I have (Halfords) comes with large battery crocodile clips. The easiest way to use the cigar lighter is obviously to cut these off and solder on a cigar lighter plug, or better (IMHO) is to solder the cigar plug on and then make up a separate lead which has a female cigar socket connected to the two crocodile clips so that you always have the option of using it either way in case you remove the battery from the car temporarily.

I didn't use a cigar lighter but instead installed a small Maplin connector under the dash with the opposite socket on the end of the battery conditioner. I made up a second lead with an identical socket connected to the crocodile clips. The Maplin parts are JG04E (Male) and JG05F (female) @ just under £4.00 the pair. The Maplin site is here. Maplin also do the in-line cigar socket FE42V @ £0.99 and a cigar plug BV63T (unfused) @ £0.99 or a fused version BV46A @ £1.99.

Chris

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here