Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Leaking radiator

Nic Day

Just come back from a great blat and noticed the temp a lot higher than usual. So took the nose off and opend the radiator cap to put some more water in. I then noticed a small leak on the front bottom left corner. So put the cap back on so I did not loose all the water. Once the trickle stopped I had a look at the hole.

It is very small and 1mm across. My question is will a liquid radiator hole filler that pours in going to work? Or what is the best solution please?

Thanks

A 1 mm hole in your rad is not a small hole, it's a veritable flood, under system pressure water will escape with great rapidity, DON'T, DON'T DON'T, put rad seal, Barrs leaks or any other of these bodge it up sealers in your cooling system this stuff just puts a glob of Goo in the hole and furs up the rest of your cooling system, reducing heat transfer in all the vital parts, ie, cylinder head, top of cylinder block, leading to further failures, take the radiator out and get it fixed properly, in the long run you will save yourself a lot of grief, I have experience of this stuff, it's not good. Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Agree with Mick and Nigel!

I recently had a small leak appear in my 18 month old rad.

I tried rad weld and Barrs - it still leaked ☹️

Eventually my local garage sent it for repair.

Got it back looking like new and it only cost £40.00

As well a repairing they had also (acid?) dipped the rad (got rid of the flies and crud, pressure tested it and repainted it.

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Thanks for that guys I was going to put that stuff in tonight!!! I had bought some rad weld and some rad repair putty aswell for the outside.

Okay silly question I think I should be alright to take the rad off. Just a matter of unscrewing everything and taking all the pipes off.

Once I get the weld sorted I will put it all back together. Is there any tips on filling or is it just a case off filling it up running the engine and then topping up? How do I stop air locks etc?

Thanks from the very very novice no oily fingers one!!!

What engine type have you got ?, several threads here about K series filling, a bit of an art apparently, if it's an old dunger X-flow, no problems with airlocks usually, if you have a heater remember to open the valve so it also fills with coolant, which you will of course have added anti freeze, anti boil system protection to, don't use plain water, so, off you go, have fun, and if you get stuck, post again and some of us will hopefully be able to get you out of the hole, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Thanks Nigel

I have a 2ltr Zetec but no heater so just fill it then?!!?! I am taking it to chris at the 7 workshop as I need it done ASAP because I am coming to the rumble on Sunday. I have also found out it was caused by the nose cone rubbing slightly on the corner of the rad. So out will come the slight adjustment tool to put that right.!