Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A7 number plate Wanted

masha

Wanted cheap and cheerful A7 or B7 number plate A77 and A777 also considered, but its for am '85 B-reg so it must be something like A7ABC or ABC7A configuration (ie C7 D7 H7 K7 etc is too new for me to transfer to the car unfortunately).

thanks

best to email me direct to masha@canterbury.gov.uk or tel 01227 379190 me at home eves.

• 3 weeks later...
re. 7 DUO - I noticed that Caterham were willing to sell this plate with the R500 chassis no.1 that is up for sale for £25,000 at the moment. the plate is extra and "negotiable" - I've heard a rumour they would like to leave it on this car and may take an offer of around £5000 on top of the £25000 for the car. I think they should keep it as its a bit of a classic plate a bit like NRN 7 that is still on Caterham's 1st motorshow car which is still owned in-house. Admitedly it would be nice to own but I'm quite happy with A7 DUO that I've just purchased privately for now (considerably cheaper at £525), [also I do object to the concept that ANY personal plate could be worth much in excess of £500. Also I feel the plate-dealers are just a rip-off in terms of what they expect to make out of exchanging them: they'll give you pennies for a sought-after no. and sell it for hundreds/thousands later on, so its probably better to trade them between eachother for more 'realistic' money chaps].

Without wishing to dampen everybody with a bucketful of woe, someone has just told me that come April, and the inception of the new

'Yuro-style' plates for all newly registered vehicles the 'personalised' plates will bite the dust sad.gif

FH of Little England

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Not sure about this but an interesting turn of events if its true - I'll check with DVLA. I'm not too worried though as there are plenty of used 7s out there for future purchasing up to new Y-Reg ones that I'd be interested to buy next.

Masha - perfect example of economic forces at play. You want the number enough, you'll pay the price (witness what some have paid for the likes of N1 GEL and K1 NGS). It would have been nice to have been in early enough to make some cash out of it rather than paying through the nose for the "right" plate...it would also have been nice had the govt "valued" the plates properly so that the scope for the middle man was lessened and the money could (in theory, I'm taking BIG liberties here) be put to good use.

FH - the joys of being part of Europe!

Personally I think a US style system (not sure if it's restricted to certain states) is easily the best way to go - i.e. you can have more or less what you want as a plate, even just words. As long as the plate is unique, what does it matter?

Computers should make uniqueness easy to guarantee (though knowing the state of some of the govt's systems maybe not) and a word is *much* easier to remember than a sequence of letters and numbers. It would also remove the "snob" value of the age related plate.

But there's always the Viz way. And it'd have been cheaper for me to change my name to M202XEB...

C7 AJM

DVLA are saying this on their web site about the new plate scheme that starts Sept 01 with regards to new cars bearing the new number/letter format:

"And to those of you who still want to buy a good old-fashioned prefixed registration, DVLA Select Registrations still has many millions in stock. DVLAs prices are inclusive of VAT and the Assignment Fee.

Lets end with a re-assuring message for all you motorists with any type of older style registrations. As we have already said, they can still be bought from DVLA, they can still be sold on and transferred and the same assignment and transfer rules apply to all types of registrations."

The US plate system is superb. Just 50-100 bucks and all the money goes to environmental projescts and on improving the roads.

Check out the California vanity plates here

I can't remember the exact figures but the amount of plates sold in California is mind-boggling and is dead easy to do.

The EEC beaurocrats in Brussels should be nuked.

Andy

Thanks for that Masha. It's good to know that we can transfer our #'s when the time comes.

Monsieur Six - must be, not should be wink.gif

But I suppose it's just one more thing that we've rolled over and let happen blush.gif

Fall Sunfresh

Good news: I checked with DVLA this morning and the have confirms that ALL old registration no. will still be able to be tranferred to new vehicles in the future even when the format of the registration plate changes later this year.

Summary: No plans to make personal plates defunkt

Its just that 7DUO has been transferred between many of Caterham's first releases and factory demonstrators / press cars over the years. I don't know when or where they originally acquired it from or how much it cost but the first time a saw the new Supersprint it was their demonstrator at the time and bore this registration. The later 1st K-series demonstrator had it for a while (I think) and possibly various other before it was finally transferred onto SuperlightR500 chassis no. 1 where it still is today (despite this car now being up for sale now with the plate for the first time). I'm still not sure of its real value but various people have bought variations on it over the years I guess from DVLA possibly impressed by the fact that DUO is fitting for the two seats or occupiers often seen travelling in 7s.