Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brise starters

Tight fart

....or try .......The Magneton starter motor which has the innards of a Skoda and the nose casing from a Ford component is supplied by Global components & Tooling Corp Ltd., Unit 7 Barford Industrial Estate, Watton Rd., Barford,. Norwich NR9 4BG. Contact is Graham Batty, the price for a new motor, VAT and postage came to #86.36. Sorry can't find the tel no. but they are in the book and don't be put off if you get voice mail - they do phone back....... With thanks to John Howe.

Mick

Ah, gear reduction starter motor for a Zetec

I have already gone down this route with Brise but without success unfortunately. The problem I have is that Brise don't have anything, as standard, that will fit with the Raceline sump. If you have a Dunnell or James Whiting modded Mondeo sump however you may be ok.

I started off with the normal gear reduction type with Type 9 gearbox mounting, even the 360 deg adjustable unit, but no way was that going to fit.

Tony Brise (helpful chap BTW) then suggested a planetary geared motor which is basically similar to the standard unit but about 40 mm longer. No good either as it is about 5mm too long *confused*

Aha, I thought, maybe I just need to grind 5mm from the front of the pocket in the sump so called Raceline to enquire how thick the sump is at that point.

"Hang on" said Chris we'll measure it, "right, got it..............5mm"

Oh bugger, so that was a no goer as well.

I am now talking to Tony Brise about uprating a standard starter motor so will let you know the outcome.

What exactly is your reason for wanting to go down the route of geared reduction starter motor 🤔

Brent

Zetec

Sounds exactly like my problem. It has really only become apparent since a recent upgrade and higher compression.

Mine is ok when cold or just warm but doesn't want to know when the engine is really hot unless you let it cool down for 10 mins or so. I also bought a new, uprated, battery but that made no appreciable difference either so now hoping Tony Brise can come up with a workable suggestion for uprating the standard X/Flow starter.

I will let you know how it goes.

Brent

Zetec

• 2 weeks later...

Went to brise and picked one up on Monday, got it back it didn't fit *mad*.

But not all lost, if you remove the 4 allen screws you can then rotate it enough to clear the sump.

After marking it and drilling and counter sinking the alloy plate it all lines up fine.

Change the oil and filter at the same time, put it all back, engine spins like a good'n but won't start *confused*

Then remembered I'd removed the crank sensor to get to the top bolt 😳.

Put it back and hey presto it fires up straight away.

T.F@O.F.

Pics here

www.griptv.com