Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Possible changes in class structure next year?

Mrs Kipper

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cor, been away from BC a few days and there's 4 more pages on this!

Graham, thanks for the update, I know that however I say that is going to sound like I'm saying "great, I can walk class 2 again next year" but from where I was sitting it was far from a walk over.

We are all very very grateful for the work you do.

If I had known that the DVA supersport kit would potentially cause so many problems when I made the upgrades last year I would have gone for the standard Caterham kit. I felt the advantage of DVA's was being able to use the Emerald which left many more potential doors open for the future without having to scrap the MEMS supersport ecu. Whether I choose to go through those doors is another matter. Going back to the standard MEMS just to have been able to stay in class 2 would have taken my poor car back to a level I wouldn't want. I mean, who likes running out of power at 6000 when the supersport boys keep going to over 7000? I don't see the engine in it's current form as particularly modified (remember, reliability is very very important to me).

Anyway, maybe now is the time to open debate on where the classes go for 2005. Please, can this be done around a table over a beer or two? I'd like to be involved. I'd like everyone to be able to understand the DVA supersport kit better and feel free to have a poke about my car to see what it's all about.

😬

Guy

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

Guy

I've already got a request in for dates for the Tech Forum to take place in Feb next year, not sure it will be in a pub but it will be a social event. 😬 😬 😬

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* Lydden *thumbup*, Curborough *thumbup*, MIRA *thumbup*, Llandow *thumbup*, Loton Park *thumbup*, Curborough *thumbup* *thumbup*, Aintree *thumbup* *cool*

I think I threw this discussion into a loop about the MEMS ecu. It was just a suggestion.

I missed a trick back there. While a Supersport MEMS ecu is capable of running engines up to ~155bhp, a standard MEMS would have a much lower rev limit that would call a halt to play way too early. I hadn't properly taken this into account.

I still reckon that it is desirable to maintain the possibility of getting to the top of classes 2 and 3 with a factory spec car. Powder Puff and other notable performances show that this has been possible this year. If somebody did turn up in class 2/3 with a 180bhp plenumed k-series, I would like to think they could be protested up to classes 4/5. Equally if Grigsby's crossflow came to play we'd either have to make sure he was thoroughly humiliated by a standard car or again see him on his way up a class or two; gentlemen's agreements and all that...

I am intrigued that Dave J is going to move to class 4 next year. It was fun for me this year to try to keep ahead of Andy Griffiths' extra power by using the extra grip of the list 1b tyres. I still haven't worn out my ACB10s, so it looks like I might campaign them for a third season - how good value is that 🤔

I am genuinely saddened that I was unable to take a proper fight to Dave J this year, leaving him to romp away with the whole championship. I reckon there will be some new faces at the top of class 5 next year which could make interesting watching. Either that or I might find myself a plenum...