Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TB Shopping List

ChrisC

I know plenty of you have done a throttle body conversion, can you help me with my shopping list.

My car is a VX XE 97 on carbs with a coil pack (and a very dead ECU ☹️ )

The conversion must retain the twin K&Ns look (orders from the wife, or no funds)

1 x ECU

1 x pair throttle bodies DCOE equivalent

1 x fuel rail

4 x injectors

4 x Ram pipes

1 x pressure regulator

1 x throttle pot

set of connectors to make loom (I can do this)

a return fuel line

mods to tank for return fuel line

1 x Fuel Pump suitable for injection.

map for above (hoping a blatchatter can give me a good starting point)

Assumptions

I can reuse the original coil pack, and crank sensor.

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Edited by - ChrisC on 8 Sep 2003 14:32:56

Lionel - I will buy new, or I would want to see the parts before I buy (had a bad experiences in the past) so the eBay stuff is not of interest.

Peter - List updated now reads

1 x Fuel Tank (injection)

Remove

mods to tank for return fuel line

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Swirl pot route is much cheaper than replacing a perfectly good tank, especially if yours is an alloy version *confused*

You can route your return line back via your filler neck, which saves having to remove your tank and getting a inlet welded to it.

If you advertised what you need you will probably find most bits, i will have a fuel pressure regulator available soon.

C7 PWT Pure Steel XE. Founder Member of The Twisted Prop Club.

Don't like that idea, think the Injection tank will stay on the list. I will need a new fuel pump so it might as well be the intank style. Don't want to run two pump, for many reasons, like weight, more to go wrong etc etc.

Also, assumption I can offset the cost of a new tank with the sale of my good carb tank. So I am not sure there will be alot in the cost between the two options.

Is there any thing I have missed off my list?

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Chris

Suggest you look carefully at cost. New pump/seal/sender/tank from CC expensive.

Also it is unlikely you will get much for your tank - going rate is c.40-50 GBP from my experience.

Swirl pot offers a quicker and much cheaper solution which will minimise your off road time. Tank will stay in position, minimising disruption to the car.

I went the other route and costs soon mount up.... *thumbdown*

I understand swirl pop can be mounted adjacent to the tank - position vertically is I understand critical, but others are best placed to advise

Pump and seal was c. 200 GBP including upgraded pump, tank was c. 170 GBP

These costs approximate as I do not keep reciepts

You can apparently mount it in the engine bay but I was not keep on that.

You will need flow and return pipework. The return can re-use your existing pipework.

The other advantage of a swirl pot is that you do not need to replace the connections/filler, as carb one will not work.

New neck c.40 GBP + aero kit c. 70 GBP + hoses etc

Mount swirl pot in the boot, or on rear panel that sits behind drivers seat, but not in the engine bay ! this is due to heat as you will have problems, also i do not like the idea of having a Litre of fuel sitting in the engine bay, much safer next to a tank holding many litres of explosive fuel !!!!! *eek*

C7 PWT Pure Steel XE. Founder Member of The Twisted Prop Club.

From all this talk about the fuel supply / return. I take it this is the main area of work for the conversion.

So have I got this right 🤔

Carb Tank (normal outlet) to

Fuel Filter (uprated?) to

Carb Fuel Pump to

Swirl Pot (which include a pump) to (under high pressure)

Fuel Rail (and Injectors) returned by

Fuel Rail Pressure Regulator along

Original Carb Fuel line to

Modified Filler Hose for return to tank

Please correct because this is my main area of confusion *confused*

Loom made, according to the ECU manufacture, and modified for two fuel pumps (I will also include a Inertia switch for safety) This I have no problem with.

TBs built onto the manifold, and dressed according to the TB manufacture.

ECU map (beg form fellow blatchatter hopefully 😬) to get it started. Then to the rollers for a mapping session.

Drive home and enjoy and crack open a cold beer, or better still don’t open a beer and drive some more. 😬

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Some points

The fuel return line should go back to the surge pot, not the tank, then the overflow from the surge tank should deposit the fuel back to the main tank near the outlet for the low pressure pump.

What about a throttle linkage?

What about a coolant temperature sender?

What about an air temperature sender?

There is a section on conversion to EFI from carbs in my EMS article here, it may be of some help.

Oily

Given V* bike engine solutions coming through - which are bound to get cheaper, perhaps save pennies and bolt in 300 BHP straight out of the box with 75 kg weight and bulletproof design.

Could be 300, 340 or even 450 with supercharger !

R1000 anyone ?