Click here if you are having website access problems ×

747 at Duxford

Alex Birtwisle

Spitfires, Mustangs blah blah blah ...... Boeing 747 ... what 🤔 Yep, the had a Jumbo Jet hooning around the skys above Duxford today ... It is the first time I have seen a 747 doing such tight turns and steep climbs and such sloooowww flighpasts...

Amazing what they can make such a HUGE plane do

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking to my neighbour last night who was in the museum, after the Arrows had finished and we left, the was another display.

Note quite as fast or noisy as the jets - a chap in a microlight with a load of geese flying in formation behind him! Apparently they took off just after the rain stopped and put on a good display!

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

😬 *wink* 😬 *wink* 😬 *wink* 😬 *wink* 😬 *wink* 😬 *wink* 😬 *wink* 😬 *wink*

...and no, I am not that excited about a stupid jumbo 😳 *tongue* the organisers must have heard me moaning, because they not only put a Harrier up *thumbup* but he stopped and hovered just above my head, before doing a very nice flypast...

oh and the tornado was alright too *tongue*

😬

Weedhopper

All hail the Conqueror *tongue* NN is a large Etoile 😬 We must bow in his presence 😳 Sprinteur Extraordinaire *cool*

FH *cool*

Sorry we couldn't make the Duxford gathering ☹️ We had a lot of frenzied se*ual activity Chez FH this morning 😳 😳

........................ in the pond 😬

...... and needed to collect the results into a 'nursery' tank 😳 before the fish ate them *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek*

Great news Guy *cool* Did the aeroscreen help 🤔

Had to get some work finished off on Sat morning because of a scary deadline on Monday *eek* Got it done so celeberated by sitting getting wet at Duxford while watching the planes 😬

Today was much better weather for it though *thumbup*

S713UMY

Alex, the aeroscreen made no difference to terminal speeds whatsoever. I was recording 107mph over the line, Colin Hesletine (normal screen, no doors) was about the same. He came in 0.25 seconds faster than me on the final run.

I was quite surprised!

Martin and Viv, thanks for marshalling yesterday, did you guys stay dry? What was the view like?

747s, Mmmmmmm. I like these ones here, they're so cute!

Guy

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

No problem Guy. Mostly dry most of the day - The 2nd stoppage (Just after lunch was down to me 😬

I considered it too dangerous to continue during the deluge - 15 mins later is was sunny and the track dried out. No if i'd been competing ............

Was a good view to the finish line - some of thouse cars disapeared very very quickly.

When we got back to the paddock, there were only a handful of 7ers left - never mind!

Oh and you are the only one to say thanks on here - those left thanked us yesterday.

See you soon, and Congratulations.

You should have seen the 747 at Duxford ..... With that kind of flying, I bet the pilot made all the people in 1st class spill their Pimms 😬

Twas good to see Mr Toad, Boonie, Darren, Ali and C21VHPD (should change your name to C21 because the VHPD rearly works *wink*) 😬 Only one more left this year ...

Guy, I am shocked to hear your terminal velocity was not helped with the aeroscreen, maybe you used a heavier Perspex than me 😬

Alex

S713UMY

I think I probably reached vmax quickly though. I spent one run just looking at the tach. I crossed the line at a little over 6500 in 4th (1:1). 6000 - 6500 took ages. There was also a headwind which strengthened during the day.

But yes, the similarity in speeds was a bit disappointing. I don't think it's the scrren that's heavier - more like the driver!

guy

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts