Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC upgrades

Tarek

I'm a bit new to this forum stuff, and the more I read, the more confused I become. Can anybody tell me what would be reasonable as a target for an upgrade of my VVC. To be honest, it's not exactly slow, and it's very drivable. Would upgrades just turn it into a track-monster that would be a nightmare on the roads, or can you get worthwhile improvements whilst keeping the good manners. I don't really have the time to do any mods myself (and I wouldn't dare drive anything built by somebody like me), so where would you go in the south west? Any advice gratefully received. Ta

I strongly suggest that you leave the engine in standard form. The VVC is notoriously difficult to upgrade because of the ferociously complex software required to control the cams. If you really want to do something, stick to gasflowing the head only.

If you are prepared to get rid of the VVC gubbins, you can convert the engine to conventional cam operation and then you have the option to go for big figures. Your VVC already has the big valve head and this leaves you in an ideal position for major upgrades.

Minister engines do a 170BHP conversion known as 170V strangely enough. It consists of a cleaned up head and a larger throttle body. I'm fitting a throttle body off a Rover KV6 engine to mine. The bore of the body matches up nicely and the throttle plate is 55mm instead of 38mm. I'll email you a piccy to illustrate.

The KV6 throttle body is what is used on the SLR. It's not exactly neat, and they don't line up with the ports on the head. The integral manifold tapers the barrel inwards. Hardly an ideal solution, but not exactly the end of the world. I would be interested to see what power loss the KV6 throttle bodies lose to a direct-to-head system. I'd bet very little.

You don't say whether you'd be looking at just engine mods or other mods. I mean, if you haven't got a small set of wheels (13" or 14") and suitable set of tyres (i.e. nothing made by Michelin) then these should be your first port of call. Then brakes, springs, steering rack, weight loss (car & you), LSD... the list is endless.

As Roger says, upgrading the VVC is not as straightforward as the standard K. You basically have to dump the VVC mechanism, engine wiring harness and EMS. The VVC mechanism is replaced by conventional cams, the inlet being a special blank due to its larger journal sizes. These are now available from Piper at a more reasonable cost than the previous inlet cams which were machined from a steel billet. The VVC mechanism needs to be blanked of with a blanking kit. A standard engine wiring harness would be required and an aftermarket EMS fitted. There is no reason why the engine should become untractable, this largely depends on your choice of cams and flywheel. If you were to fit the new BP285H cams and some Throttle bodies together with a bit of porting a very usable 180-200bhp should be on tap.